Soldano SL-60 Effects Loop Question

StarvingEyes

How do i go about setting up the effects loop for this head? i have never used an effects loop and just started using this amp + about 8 effects pedals(all boss singles)

the back of my head looks like this

EFFECTS _____________________________SLAVE
Sends -----Return ---------------------Out --------Level
(knob)----- (input)----- --(knob) -------(input) -----(knob)

shouldn't there be a Sends input?? I thought the "slave" input was like using an extension cab?

Right now i've got a line from my FX input to the return input..
and a line from my FX output to the OUT input on my head..

tried vice-versa
(line from FX in to OUT input;line from FX Out to Return Input on head)

confused :confused:

StarvingEyes said:
wow..yeah i guess so? why would they have done that?

People are morons.

Does that knob do anything while you play? I am not familiar with mods people do to Soldano's, but you could google a little and see if anything pops up.

My guess is the original owner didn't use the effects loop ever and just saw a predrilled hole there and decided that would work fine.

That, or........ (and this would be too good to be true more than likely)
...he maybe changed the other effect plug with a TRS plug. Like a stereo send, return. You would then use a patch cable there, much like in recording. Its a stereo cable (left, right) on one end (the amp) and the other is a Y for the send and return. Then the knob would be a blend knob for how much effect you want.

that would be called a Parallel effects loop as opposed to the normal series loops. Infact, now that I think about it, that seems very likely.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Good luck.

slave would be for sending signal to another amps input/return, not a speaker cab.

That way you get the tone from your preamp while using the second amp as a "slave" for power. Or better yet send the signal from your slave output to the "return"(effects loop) on the slaved amp so it bypasses the preamp of the slaved amp. That way the preamp of the slaved amp will not color the sound, you would only be using the slaved amp as a POWER amp so to speak.

hook your true effect pedal (chorus/delays/flange) in your effects loop. like this.

(send FXloop) ----(input of first pedal)---(another pedal, and so on)----(output of last pedal)------(return fxloop).

Then in addition to but seperately from the above setup you set up your distortions/compressor to the front of your head. like this

(guitar)-----(input of first pedal)----(next pedal)---(output of last pedal)----(input of your amp).

there is a order to the pedal that generaly works best,but thats awhole different subject, im sure you search the archives for the correct order.

good luck

metalj said:
slave would be for sending signal to another amps input/return, not a speaker cab.

That way you get the tone from your preamp while using the second amp as a "slave" for power. Or better yet send the signal from your slave output to the "return"(effects loop) on the slaved amp so it bypasses the preamp of the slaved amp. That way the preamp of the slaved amp will not color the sound, you would only be using the slaved amp as a POWER amp so to speak.

hook your true effect pedal (chorus/delays/flange) in your effects loop. like this.

(send FXloop) ----(input of first pedal)---(another pedal, and so on)----(output of last pedal)------(return fxloop).

Then in addition to but seperately from the above setup you set up your distortions/compressor to the front of your head. like this

(guitar)-----(input of first pedal)----(next pedal)---(output of last pedal)----(input of your amp).

there is a order to the pedal that generaly works best,but thats awhole different subject, im sure you search the archives for the correct order.

good luck

I take it you didn't read the whole post. ;)

i forget what it does when you mess with the 2 knobs on the back.. the amp is at the practice space, its pretty new so i havent really gotten that much 'alone time' with it, which is truly a shame. I'll keep you posted though. thanks

metalj said:
Ok, i read it again, what did i miss??

He didn't ask exactly how to use a normal effects loop. He asked how to use it since someone (the previous owner) installed a knob in one of the jack spaces.

Make sense? :D

Outlaws said:
He didn't ask exactly how to use a normal effects loop. He asked how to use it since someone (the previous owner) installed a knob in one of the jack spaces.

Make sense? :D

No. it looks like to me he wanted to know how to set up his 8 effects pedal in the loop. I'll even quote him "i have never used an effects loop", and copy the post below for you to read again. maybe we both took something different from it. Either way I gave him a possitive standard option to hook up his effects loop. whats wrong with that? The volume knob was different and your comments were helpful too. So we both covered two different possible questions he had, and all is good. hopefully he has an idea of how to solve his problem. :p :D The word "never" was the deciding factor for me to give a standard set up.

How do i go about setting up the effects loop for this head? i have never used an effects loop and just started using this amp + about 8 effects pedals(all boss singles)

now don't yinz be fightin over lil ol me. :rolleyes:

you both get positive CP

i suppose ill try and get a Y cable and try that, that would be th only logical explanation of why someone would do that to my head.

thanks

metalj said:
No. it looks like to me he wanted to know how to set up his 8 effects pedal in the loop. I'll even quote him "i have never used an effects loop", and copy the post below for you to read again. maybe we both took something different from it. Either way I gave him a possitive standard option to hook up his effects loop. whats wrong with that? The volume knob was different and your comments were helpful too. So we both covered two different possible questions he had, and all is good. hopefully he has an idea of how to solve his problem. :p :D The word "never" was the deciding factor for me to give a standard set up.

Right, but I was just pointing out that the way you suggested to use an effects loop doesn't work with the amp he has since he doesn't have an effects send anymore. I took it like he was smart enough to figure out a normal effects loop (even having never used one), but was puzzled to death by the knob that was in his way.

Outlaws said:
Right, but I was just pointing out that the way you suggested to use an effects loop doesn't work with the amp he has since he doesn't have an effects send anymore. I took it like he was smart enough to figure out a normal effects loop (even having never used one), but was puzzled to death by the knob that was in his way.

Its all Good. glad you could help him, cause i had no clue on the volume knob.

well. ready for this one?

tonight i bought a send return cable. it has one stereo 1/4th, and 2 mono male 1/4ths. plugging the stereo into the send input of my head, and the 2 mono's for the in n' out of my effects, and. nothing.

:D

StarvingEyes said:
well. ready for this one?

tonight i bought a send return cable. it has one stereo 1/4th, and 2 mono male 1/4ths. plugging the stereo into the send input of my head, and the 2 mono's for the in n' out of my effects, and. nothing.

:D

Did you try each mono side as the send/return? Was the knob on turned up all the way clockwise? I would try both directions since pots can be installed 'backwards'. also, is there a footswitch for the effects loop? If there is, you might need to click it 'on' so the loop is in the the signal loop.

Otherwise, sorry you bought the cable and it didn't work. Hope it wasn't too much money out of your pocket. It honestly seemed like a completely probable possibility.

Also, did you mess with that other knob inbetween the loops and the slave? That is another thing that isn't on the amp in the picture I linked to.

Is it possible to track down the person you bought it from?

A little detective work can go a long way.
But if all else fails, take some high rez pics on the inside of the amps circuit and the jacks all in one nice pic, and one of the back panel. Send that sucker to Soldano's email. They are supposed to have okay customer service, so you might get someone to respond with any mods they are aware of.

StarvingEyes said:
alright here's a few pictures i tossed on a blank myspace page

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...n=1571FA50-1372-54CC-1326FCD252490FC310835516

and

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=12566438&imageID=559750744

the 2 mono ends of my cable that i bought are labled "ring" and "tip"

?

tried changing them around for the ins n outs

Well those pics don't help much but they do show that the knobs are definately a modification and not from the factory.

So they don't do a thing if you turn them while playing? Even if nothing is plugged into the effects loop?

it seems like when i have the send knob all the way down (<<<) the volume is louder then if it were all the way up(>>>)

and the return knob if its all the way up(>>>) then it seems to make the signal stronger than if it were down(<<<)

stumppppeddd
i suppose i'll send soldano an email

Back