Solaris song/mix/Video thoughts

I played the MP3 version. I listened on both headphones (Sony 7506s) and a pair of JBL 305 monitors. It just seems there's too much going on at once. The guitars step on the vocals more than I would like.

Just my opinion, but you asked....
I hear ya I appreciate the comments there’s only one Guitar panned on the hard left. when you get a chance listen again I’ve updated the mix both wave and MP3. The current mix has an Octavia on the guitar solo. I’m talking about when the drums drop out and the vocals first come in. If you’re talking about when the distorted guitars come in during the Solaris vocal then yes, that part is meant to be some what buried.

Last edited:
I don't mind the long intro and think the song will make a pretty decent album track.

It's a bit clippy (which isn't always a bad thing if intended) and I'm not loving the latest reverb settings. Still wondering if the mix is better than the master.

Overall I like it.

Last edited:
I don't mind the long intro and think the song will make a pretty decent album track.

It's a bit clippy (which isn't always a bad thing if intended) and I'm not loving the latest reverb settings. Still wondering if the mix is better than the master.

Overall I like it.
I added some side chain compression on the reverb to address that issue. Thanks I like it too and the length is intentional I'm tired of writing 3:30 pop songs. There is no clipping but there is a lot of saturation on the drums and in general. Some don't like that and I get it. Dave Fridman is one of my favorite producers flaming lips etc and tame impala I like that sound.

I added some side chain compression on the reverb to address that issue. Thanks I like it too and the length is intentional I'm tired of writing 3:30 pop songs. There is no clipping but there is a lot of saturation on the drums and in general. Some don't like that and I get it. Dave Fridman is one of my favorite producers flaming lips etc and tame impala I like that sound.

The new file is 'worse' than the older ones (clippy sounding saturation). Listen to the first 3 seconds, mainly on the left. it's particularly noticeable there but can be heard at times throughout. You may or may not want to sort that out.

Don't know much if anything about Dave Fridman but I'll give his stuff a listen.

There’s no clipping on the left side only or anywhere in the track that there is some distortion on different instruments particularly the drums. I don’t know what you’re hearing but I just listened here and I don’t hear it. Give the time stamp. There is decapitator on the piano you may be hearing that

Interesting song - I'll have to listen to it about 20 more times - the idea is solid - the mix isn't there yet - the slapback (or Doubling?) on the drums kind of works and kind of doesn't - maybe back the treble down on the slap a little - the Decapitator on the Piano is quite interesting - I would leave that but maybe back it down a bit - the vocals are great IMO - cutting through the mix without being the loudest thing - although I think you need to clean them up - maybe take out the audio between phrases if you haven't already - I'm going to give it a bunch more listens.

There’s no clipping on the left side only or anywhere in the track that there is some distortion on different instruments particularly the drums. I don’t know what you’re hearing but I just listened here and I don’t hear it. Give the time stamp. There is decapitator on the piano you may be hearing that

There is no clipping. I'm beginning to think my system has a 'problem' with your file and is introducing distortion that nobody else is hearing.

Last edited:
Interesting song - I'll have to listen to it about 20 more times - the idea is solid - the mix isn't there yet - the slapback (or Doubling?) on the drums kind of works and kind of doesn't - maybe back the treble down on the slap a little - the Decapitator on the Piano is quite interesting - I would leave that but maybe back it down a bit - the vocals are great IMO - cutting through the mix without being the loudest thing - although I think you need to clean them up - maybe take out the audio between phrases if you haven't already - I'm going to give it a bunch more listens.
Thx! good ideas and ears. The drums have Roland re20 space echo on them. Let me see about backing off the treble. I will back down decap on piano a bit. I've already taken out anything between vocals. Might be the delay echos you're hearing

Edit: updated mix with these changes

Last edited:
There is no clipping. I'm beginning to think my system has a 'problem' with your file and is introducing distortion that nobody else is hearing.

This is what I'm hearing (from the first 3 seconds, a bit eq'd so hopefully you can hear it now as well):

View attachment 136532

Don't know why I'm hearing this and nobody else is but it's definitely there. I've listened to the files on here without downloading them and hear it, I downloaded the files (wav and mp3) and listened on different speakers and hear it. I've downloaded the file again and it's still there. Now I'll have to check my system to see whats going on 🙁.

Still a good song!

EDIT: Just a thought, if it is on my system you still might not hear what I'm hearing 🤷‍♂️.
oh ok yah you're hearing tube distortion/break up on the guitar. That's not clipping it's just a clean tone on the edge of breakup from the Friedman amp

Last edited:
Still loving all the variation in this!
But... I liked it better when I turned it down and sped it up to 1.25 ;)

I shouldn't talk... I tend to max everything out when I'm recording too lol.
The high end of the snare was the only thing that really annoyed me...

Still loving all the variation in this!
But... I liked it better when I turned it down and sped it up to 1.25 ;)

I shouldn't talk... I tend to max everything out when I'm recording too lol.
The high end of the snare was the only thing that really annoyed me...
Snare is more tame not hi end wise. also added a final video

Back