Software Won't Work!!

Wanderlei

Hi. N00b here.

I want to get into recording but no matter what software i put onto my computer it just doesn't seem to want to work. My computer is relatively new (2 years old) and i haven't used it much - however, it's a cheap one and was mainly for my studies.

I tried one of the Sonar packages and that worked ok for about a week. Then it decided to intermittently screech at me every so often, making it impossible to record. I also tried mixcraft, which gives a delay when recording on different tracks that i just can't seem to fix. I've tried others, too, but there always seems to be a niggling problem.

I've searched this site and the internet for solutions and i've tried messing with the latency/buffer settings. It doesn't seem to help much. I'm beginning to think my computer's just too crap.

So the main question is, what is the most basic piece of multi-track recording software i can get my hands on? I just need 3-4 tracks to record over one another without any delays. I don't need any fancy effects and stuff. Can anyone suggest anything that might work for me?

Thanks in advance.

Hi. N00b here.

I want to get into recording but no matter what software i put onto my computer it just doesn't seem to want to work. My computer is relatively new (2 years old) and i haven't used it much - however, it's a cheap one and was mainly for my studies.

I tried one of the Sonar packages and that worked ok for about a week. Then it decided to intermittently screech at me every so often, making it impossible to record. I also tried mixcraft, which gives a delay when recording on different tracks that i just can't seem to fix. I've tried others, too, but there always seems to be a niggling problem.

I've searched this site and the internet for solutions and i've tried messing with the latency/buffer settings. It doesn't seem to help much. I'm beginning to think my computer's just too crap.

So the main question is, what is the most basic piece of multi-track recording software i can get my hands on? I just need 3-4 tracks to record over one another without any delays. I don't need any fancy effects and stuff. Can anyone suggest anything that might work for me?

Thanks in advance.

ok.. so we just need to address a few issues.. check it

* if the computer is that new, then most likely it has a dual core and a couple gigs of ram.. you will have no problem recording on that computer with any DAW

* If you are using the stock (onboard) sound card, then ASIO4ALL is the way to go.. here is the direct link to their real site ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver

* even with the stock sound cards, you should be able to get the latency low enough (especially on newer computers) to do low latency recording (no delay)

* try downloading Reaper, and using ASIO4ALL for the audio driver.. its free for 30 days REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

now, try this, and let us know if its still working.. if possible, provide a screenshot of ASIO4ALL's control panel, and your reaper or sonar sound preferences window, and post those, because then we can see exactly what you are seeing..

hope this helps

More info, please. What are the detailed stats on your computer for CPU, RAM speed/capacity, HD speed/capacity?

even if his computer 2 years old, it will still more than likely have a dual core, or at least a 775 p4 equivalent, and at least a couple of gigs of ram.. coupled with asio4all, he should be able to at least do lower than 7 ms recording, or better.. hd speed can totally affect it, but even then, nowadays, a computer that is fairly new, and in good working order, should be able to pull of at least some basic recording..

stats will help, but i have a feeling its more than just computer stats..

Hi. N00b here.

Thanks in advance.

Screeching sounds like Deferred Procedure Call.

Check out this link, run the DPClatency checker and get back to us. :)

Okay guys, thanks a lot for all the info. I'll go and take a look at all that stuff, try it out and then come back. I'm not going to pretend to understand everything you've said but i'll try to piece it together lol.

Thanks again.

Success! I didn't even have to mess around with my computer. I managed to get hold of that REAPER programme and it works brilliantly. Thanks a lot for all your help. It's very much appreciated.

You guys rock.

Back