Software which enables multi-track recording without midis

gerrards

Hi all,

I'm looking for some software that I can do multi-tracking on. The set up I have at the moment is a mic > sound card > nero 6, but this only allows single track so I have to set up my keyboard to play it's recorded memory, sing and play the guitar without having the change to control each volume accurately nor add additional layers.

Any ideas? The cheaper the better, so long as it does the job.

Upgrading PC to XP with 1GB ram, and 24-bit sound card.

Cheers,
Gerrard

Though Tracktion does midi, Rewire, and VSTi's, it also does multitracking quite well. Adobe Audition is excellent, and if you're a student (or know one) you can get it for $140. It's pretty much just a multitracker, nice and solid.

*saves Manning the trouble of clicking reply*

Search under Manning's name, he loves one particular package.

Cool Edit Pro 2.1 (also called Adobe Audition) allows you to huck up your mic and sing. You can the huck up your guitar and play. When finished you can bring these all together by playing them one on top of the other. Trial versions are available. It also allows you to ajust the volumn etc of each track

Big 'ol list of audio software at www.hitsquad.com
Lots of demos there to download and try.

Kristal at www.kreatives.org as Richard noted is a good beginner package and free.

Computer Music magazine has a full audio suite of programs with their monthly CD at your local Borders or Barnes&Noble or newstand (lots of good stuff there)

N-Track Studio is a great low-end package with LOTS of features. Demo on their website at www.ntrack.com

CubaseSE is only $99 and is a super package that'll let you do 48 audio tracks.

Start with the free stuff and download lots of demos. The only one who can pick out a package that works with you is YOU.....

Back