Software Update for MR8 (red version)

For those of you who just happened to venture into this thread
seeking the software update for the little red Pain-In-The-Azz,
you really should just go to the Fostex website.
(Note: I have less than 10 posts, I cannot paste URLs here yet.
Butt, I Can draw the link as a picture jpg image! lol
)

UpdateLink.JPG

I've tried it and I can't get it to work with my 4Gb SanDisk CF card,
and the zip file has no instructions as to how to get this update
into little red's system. I tried copying the file to the CF card via
a USB card reader attached to my laptop, then inserted the CF card
into little red's slot..... "Card Error" Error 08.

Don't worry about me. The suggestion is so that y'all wouldn't
have to request the update sent to you by private email.
Give the man a break, he's doing his best to help; just go to
the Fostex website and click the links which lead to everything
related to the MR-8 little red machine and you'll see the download link
for the software update.
To this day Fostex still has items for little red at their website,
just follow their links and you'll see them.

Just a helpful tip. ;-)

CF Card Limit

It could be that the 4GB card isn't working because the poor little red terror can only deal with a 2GB CF Card at the largest... dig through yer junk drawer and see if you have one laying around from 10 years ago...

cheers...

Thanks, but the only CF card I have is brand new and 4Gb capacity.

Anyway, here I am back here two days later... I took the machine
back to the music store where I bought it, and even the salesperson
had problems trying to get the darn thing to work when I left it with
him overnight. Sooo, I traded the little red booger plus
some cash for a used Roland VS-840GX. I'm happy now. ;-)

I have a Fostex MR-8 red version and I just got a 2 GB compact flash card it works but I keep getting a error code FILE ERR: 1000 ERROR 10 message can someone explain what I need to do a how to fix it

Found the S/W but have no idea how to install it!?! No instructions anywhere. And my computer says it can't open the file. It's a "21" file? What is THAT?

Help with unzipping MR8 upgrade file

The software update is still appearing for the MR8 (Red), but .....I have tried downloading ...saving, running, and it won't "run" ....I think it unzips and the file reads as mr08_mv1.21 ...it shows as being compressed. I don't seem to be able to extract it. Help ????

I found the following post from Nils K on 9/22/2004 ....IT WORKED FOR ME ....
In my case, I left the CF card in the MR-8 and turned the USB "on" , then used these steps to copy and install the unzipped file mr08_mv1.21 ...However, I probably could have just inserted the CF card into the computer to transfer the unzipped file.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nils' instructions follow >>>>>>>>

A couple of things may be wrong here...

Firstly, you have to have room to spare on the CF card in the MR-8. If you do, then try this:

1) Unzip the contents of the zipped file to the same location as the zipped file (i.e. the PC hard disk)

2) Mark the file with the cursor.

3) Press Ctrl-C to copy it.

4) Mark the MR-8 root folder (The F:-drive on your system, if I get you right)

5) Press Ctrl-V to insert it (i.e. paste the file to the CF card on the MR-8)

6) When the file transfer is over (red light on the MR-8 is out) disconnect the MR-8 from the PC (see the manual for how to do this properly).

7) Turn off the MR-8.

8) While holding the STOP button on the MR-8, turn it on again.

9) The MR-8 asks you to confirm upgrade "VERSION UP" by pressing RECORD and YES. Do this, and wait for the MR-8 to finish its upgrade.

10) Turn the MR-8 off, and then back on, and you are done.

how do you open this file its called 21 file what the hell kind of crap is that? tell me how to upgrade this junk and i had a guy tell me you cant import wave files you have not made on this rotten recorder listen do yourself a favor dont even think about buying this lousy thing it just a bad recorder.. music is fun not brain surgery tascam makes a better recorder its easy to use try it

Terfyn,
Thanks for all the good info, seems like there are some who will always have problem with things. Update worked great, found a MR-8 on e-bay for thirty bucks, fix a button and upgraded the software, the recorder is pretty simple and does a fine job of multi tracking.
Thanks Again
Duke

...i had a guy tell me you cant import wave files you have not made on this rotten recorder...
Not true. All my drum tracks are created on my PC using HammerHead 1.0 and Audacity, and I export them as WAV files and put them on my MR8 with no trouble at all. You HAVE to use the Fostex WAV Manager program to do it, and the file has to have the correct name (e.g. TR01.WAV if you want to use it as track 1 on the MR-8), but it's very simple and takes a few minutes at most. You can either transfer the files directly to the MR-8 via USB or to the card using a card reader.

Back