Software to find Chords

Nanahime

Hi there. Ive been writing songs for few years now, but recently I'm feeling like I need to learn better arrangements.

My question is, is there software that can find you all the possible chord progressions for a given melody or something like that??

I have older Band-In-a-box. and it can do alot with given chord progressions but what I want is sort of opposite of that. I have my melody and I want different possible chord progressions.

Please help. Thanx!

You may get many different chord progressions using a melody, but they may not all sound good. Most good melodies adhere to the tried and true common progressions. There are always exceptions with anything. Especially in the arts.

I don't know that a computer program can do this based on listening to individual notes of a melody. Hell, anything's possible I though I guess.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but when I write and have a melody in my head, I just use various progressions within the key and find something that sounds good.

It usually doesn't work this way with me though. I usually write a chord prgression and add a good melody after the progression is established. Sometimes it gets changed if I think of something better, but this is the framework that I work with.

My best advise to you would be to get away from your computer to write music and use your heart and your head.

Back