Software recommendations?

garf

What mixing software would you recommend?

I am recording a solo acoustic instrument (harp & occassionally guitar). Currently I simply record to a Tascam CDRW 2000 recorder. Now that I have finally figured out mic placement (thanks Harvey) I want to begin attempting the mixing phase. My approach will be minimal, some equalization, normalize if necessary, and maybe compression on a couple of songs.

Is there much difference in the quality of equalization etc between the software, or simply additional features?

You should download demo versions of all of the multitrack programs,

to see which one you like to interact with the best. ;)

Since you are in the SF forum, check out Vegas 5.

Vegas is a wonderful program.

(BTW, I use Sonar 4 by Cakewalk).

Thanks for the input. I notice that you can get old versions of Cakewalk (2.0) on ebay reasonably. I would be interested in recommendations for low cost solutions, surprisingly how expensive this is! (newbie reveals ignorance)

They might have shareware/freeware versions at.....

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/

However, you should go to the software manufacturers website to download the demo version of their current products.

Play around with all of them. Figure out which software you like the best. Then you can save up some money to buy the current version.

Wow, great site for shareware. I think your recommendation is excellent about trying them out first, then getting whatever I plan on sticking with

Back