software or mixingboards

Jbangz

how do you feel about using just software for mixing such as protools with no mixing board is a mixing board needed

I prefer to use some sort of interface with digital... you know, like.... Board controls the software, software controls the board, couple of good rigs are made by Digidesign and Steinburg.

o ok cuz i use protools by it self just the pc mbox an a mic an booth ofcuz an seems to be fine i see lots of ppl have all sorts of racks an stuff

002rack/ optional mixer

I have an mbox that a friend is letting me borrow just so i can get familiar with PT. I was wondering about 002rack though. See i play drums and will want to run at least 3-4 mic's. My question is...Does one have to run a digital mixing board(i.e Mackie Onyx) in order to get all of the mic's seperated or can one just run it straight to the 002rack. Is the Mixer nessa? What are the +/- of purchasing a external mixer along w/the 002r?

If you can get a good mixing board, those tend to have the best pre-amps, but most of us don't have the money. I've been blessed enough to have employment at a commercial studio in town, and enjoy classic warm pre-amps on a 16-bus AMR console. If I were running a commercial studio, I wouldn't ever want to do without a good board. But just using an interface is alright for home recording. If you can actually afford a Neve or SSL though, then you're foolish not to go with that!

I'd say in general, if you want to spend less than $50,000 on your recording gear, then do without the board. Any more, and not using a board is silly, since if you spend THAT much, you probably have clients, and you need not only the best pre-amps, but the convenience of a board in order to keep sessions running smoothly. Paying clients don't like to pay for wasted time.

At home, I just have an M-audio firewire 1814 with a digital octopre, and it's great for all my home recording projects.

Back