Software or Hardware Mixing?

jnorden

I want to help my daughter's band get going so I'm aiming at a low cost "hobby" setup.
I plan to add a multi-port sound card to my computer (1600+AMD,256RAM,60GbHD).
To keep costs down, and to keep the whole system digital and simple, I have been planing on using software for all the mixing, compression, effects, etc, then simply burning CDs for local distribution.
I notice a lot of people, even with small systems, seem to use external hardware mixers.
Why is this?
Which would be the best choice for my needs?
Thanks

I use an external mixer for more of an analog sound. You can achieve this sound with certain plugins but IMO it doesn't sound the same. It's just my preference though. I know plenty of people who do everything in the digital domain and thier mixes turn out fine.

There is a whole analog/digital debate and that crosses over into mixing with analog mixers for DAWs but if you just want to make some demo's it's not of great concern.

You may still need a mixer for the actual tracking though. You need a preamp for mics and if you want to sub mix drums or anything you will need a mixer. Once you add up the cost of a couple of outboard pre's than a small mixer becomes a pretty good value.

I think ALL audio studio's should at the very least have a small mixer because there are many tasks that a mixer just does well and makes your life a lot easier. Without a mixer doing simple headphone mixes for monitoring can be a real pain in the arse. Not to mention adding outboard effects, compression, controlling the studio monitor levels, etc.

well.

I use an Allen and Heath mixwizard everything goes throught it on the way to my delta 1010. once I get everything close, I do the final mix back through my A&H to mix down to two channels. l like the eq's. and I like to have real sliders and knobs. What can I say, I'm old.

Back