Software monitor matrix?

normington

I run two different interfaces in my PC, driving two sets of speakers. The first is a stereo output running my main monitors, the second is a 5.1 output running my surround speakers.

Right now, if I want to change which interface gets the sound piped to it, I have to change it in the individual settings of each program - it's not deep in the settings, but it's not so quick either.

What I really want is some software way of easily controlling where the sound goes, so I can A/B, and don't have to go to deep into settings in lots of different places all the time. I imagine this would take the form of some 'virtual' interface that I set all the programs to output to, and then I could control this virtual interface in a program window to send the sound to whichever interface I wanted to at the push of a button. Sort of like a monitor matrix, but running as software rather than external hardware.

Does anybody know of something like this that I could use to solve my problem? Apologies if this has been covered before - I've read around and can't find anything that gives me an answer, but I may have missed something.

Thanks,
Andrew

The computer will only run one soundcard at a time so with the set up you have you will have to keep switching interfaces

In order to A/B between speaker with a click of the mouse they have to all be plugged into the same sound device and set up as setting a and setting b so the sound card knows which outputs to route which signals to

The computer will only run one soundcard at a time

I don't follow - at the moment, I can set, say Windows Media to output to the 5.1 interface, and VLC to output to the stereo, and I can do this simultaneously. Perhaps I've misunderstood your point, could you explain in more detail what you mean?

The Mackie is hardware, isn't it? The reason I think I need to use software is because the 'matrix' needs to come before the interfaces in the signal chain, because I'm talking about two different types of output - 5.1 and 2.0.

Sorry I thought you were talking about audio recording sfotware playback not windows media player

Generally audio DAWs will only allow one audio driver to be used at a time and you can't mix and match interfaces.

If your talking about multiple non DAW prgrams running different drivers at the same time to run multiple interfaces it *Might* be possible

If your talking about multiple non DAW prgrams running different drivers at the same time to run multiple interfaces it *Might* be possible

I'm not so much talking about the programs running different drivers at the same time, what I imagine would be the way to do it, as I said in my initial post, would be to have some kind of software 'virtual interface' or emulator, and have all the programs output to that 'device', and then I could control the emulator to tell it which interface I want to output to right now, and route which signals where.

Sorry, looks like I didn't make myself very clear to start with. I have no idea if a facility like what I'm looking for exists, but I imagine it would be perfectly possible, it's just if anybody's built it yet...

Back