Software just doesn't work (in general)

Slouching Raymond

This appears to be the most appropriate place for this wider rant.
My computers have conspired against me. My first thread, a week ago, asked for any suggestions, when my Cubase 11 suddenly died. Re-install was a sensible reply, but it is just as dead after re-installing the same build that I first downloaded. So I thought I'd go back tho the old PC with Cubase 7, that I put aside (as it was incompatible with my new interface). It told me 'Incorrect Password', and refused to boot. On examination, I found the CMOS real time Clock battery was completely dead, so replaced it. This didn't help, as Win7 had now lost my password. It told me I could reset the password using the 'Password Reset Disk' I made. OOPS - I hadn't made one, because I didn't have a spare usb stick handy when it asked.
This means my Win7 license has gone, taking with it my Cubase 7 license, and a video editing license. You damn fool, you might say.
The video editing software had its own problems. On installation you have to activate your license online, which went ok, and then when you first try to export an MP4 file, it insists on activating your MP4 licence at that point. That second activation failed, and it told me to switch off the firewall, and deactivate other protection software. This was to no avail, as the failed activation attempt had eaten up my MP4 licence.
Fast forward to today, and I try to see if I can download the most recent Cubase 11, using the target Win10 laptop. I find that Win10 will not allow me to access the Steinberg website, because it doesn't like the look of the site's security certificate. This is despite the laptop having previously successfully installed Cubase 11.

Right now, I am down to just my old hardware recorders, Yamaha AW16G and Korg D16XD, which still work just as well as they ever did.
The observation here is that hardware works, and software just gives you grief.
Whatever DAW version or operating system you use, it is the same story for ever, bug reports, updates, and more grief.
When software is embedded in a shrink wrapped piece of hardware, they have to get it right before they release it. Even if updates are catered for, you're pretty safe if you choose to stick with the original version.
A 24-track tape machine plus an analogue in-line mixer looks an attractive option, where I'm sitting right now.

These are the rantings of a mad man, I can hear you think.
But I've had a long career as an Electronics Design Engineer, and Embedded Software Developer. I have an intimate knowledge of how bug-ridden software gets created, and a
similar knowledge on complex electronic systems.
Software companies have a 'Quality Manager', and their job is to generate a swathe of 'Quality Manuals', containing instructions and procedures which their developers will follow.
The company will then be assessed and hopefully approved, by an appropriate quality standards body. Then the company can bragg about how rthey are 'Approved' to whatever quality standard.
The reality though, is that no-one ever believes in it. Not the Quality Manager, CEO, software developers, or even the quality body assessor.
What actually happens is the Quality Manager, who is usually never a design engineer, generates volumes full of waffle that look impressive, but on inspection don't even add up.
They get rubber stamped by the quality body assessor, because they look like lots of documents. And then the software developers just ignore the documents, and do as they please.

Electronics design has a slight advantage, in that designers are likely to produce a definitive document, called a 'Circuit Diagram'. This is not the only useful document, but it is a good start.
Without boring you to death, I'm thinking about trying Sonar, but I don't hold out too much hope. That avenue will probably have just as many problems.

I don't think it's the fault of Win10 that you can't access the Steinberg website. What browser are you using? I've had occasional issues where Firefox will warn me about the certificate, or if it says it's not a secure site (HTTPS). I know the site and you tell it to go ahead, and not worry about the "OMG GET ME OUT OF HERE BEFORE I GET HACKED" warnings.

Its actually a trivial task to reset or remove the Windows password. I've done on XP systems at work that we received from our research center, and just did a Win7 system that a friend was wanting to give away, and I told her I would make sure any private files were wiped. Plus, Windows won't lose your password just because your BIOS battery died. I don't blame Windows because I can't remember my password. I used to hate it when my work made me change passwords every 90 days. My Reaper PC doesn't even have a password.. Saves me from having to remember anything.

I don't know what video software you are using, but the manufacturer should be able to reset your MP4 license.

The difference between building a system like Cubase, which has to accomodate a vast spectrum of hardware vs your embedded designs is that those are generally limited to a particular number of tasks, and the hardware is known. Still, even those systems are not foolproof. The company that I worked for has a full process control system, the vendor provided all the hardware and software and did the installations. Everything was fine until the system didn't read a sensor properly and it put 15000 gallons of material into a 12500 gallon tank. OOPS. Remember the saying that nothing is foolproof, because fools are very ingenious!

As for going down the road of a 24 track tape/ big mixing desk road, it sounds great, until you have to order 10 more reels of 1 inch tape for that project you're working on. The $1500 you just spent would have bought you another PC or even a Macbook Pro.

sorry, Raymond. I know the frustrations. I've been down the road enough times, especially when it was just working yesterday happens.

Oh yeah, my AW16G is still working except for the power button that is broken, luckily on the ON position. A power strip works fine. Someday I'll pull the hard drive and put in the IDE/SD card adapter that I bought 2 years ago. No more space restrictions!

I think it is Win10. I was using Edge, but also tried with Firefox, which I prefer. Neither gave me an option to ignore their warning. There is a possibility that the public library wifi stepped in to refuse it.
I never needed or requested a password, but Windows forced it upon me. I've never forgotten it.
The video editing software is a fairly unpopular one called Magix Movie Edit Pro MX, which I have got used to.
Fortunately, I still have my most reliable Win7 Home very pedestrian PC, which I bought because it doesn't have a noisy fan. On that PC I do all my non music work, and that also has a fully installed better version of the video software, with 'PLUS' added on the end of its title. Only trouble is it is not powerful enough to display a draft video project during editing, without jerking.
You are dead right about embedded systems having a known enviroment. There is nothing worse than a software product that has to rely on ever changing 3rd party software. You have to take the blame for someone else's mess.
I aggree too that tapes are really yesterday's technology, however, a digital version of a multi-track tape recorder, might prove popular.
I am thinking a box containing an array of DRAM simms, connected to an array of A/D and D/A converters, where samples are clocked directly into or out of memory, with practically no latency, and no Microsoft 'great software' to mess things up. All you then need is a mechanism to transfer all the data between DRAMs and a USB stick or similar.
On the HW recorders, I did try to replace the D16XD full size IDE drive with a IDE/SATA adapter plus SSD drive arrangement, but it wouldn't work, I think because the adapter did not understand 'cable select'. It is harder to get things done when you have to poke at a tiny screen.

I think it’s not so much that software doesn’t work, but that, when it doesn’t, it can be much harder to figure out than hardware.

Ray, if you are using public wifi, that could be an issue. If you use a VPN, that would probably solve the access problem. If I was using public wifi for anything, I would definitely be using a VPN.

The folks over on the DijonStock forum got an IDE/SD adapter working on the Yamaha AW16G a few years ago. They also managed to get larger hard drives working. The old 20G drive was just too darn small.

I'm very confused by your experience with Steinberg. You just install their app on a new computer (or old one) and you can download any version you want - the elicenser software also works pretty well with the electronic software based licences and any dongles you have. I got my Steinberg stuff on a new computer in a couple of hours?

I think it’s not so much that software doesn’t work, but that, when it doesn’t, it can be much harder to figure out than hardware.
What gets me is that the license is paid for, but after a crash, update ,or OS reinstall it can be challenging to unlock the purchased software.

Half the VST I bought , I fear are going to eventually disappear.

Rob, that all worked fine when first installing with the downloader program. Since then there have been several Win 10 updates. God knows what they're all for.
Since my cubase died, Ive tried uninstalling cubase, successfully, and then re-installing the original download of cubase successfully. Only trouble is, it still exhibited the same deadness. It refuses to play waveforms that I see on screen, and refuses to record anything. It is as if it has turned into an expired temporary demo version.
Problems compounded by Win 10 laptop not being allowed to connect to steinberg using either Edge, Firefox, or even the Steinberg downloader. I still have some tricks to try, like using a different Win 8.1 computer to connect, and I have yet to trawl through the bug reports at steinberg..

I've had expenive software (£1000s) protected by dongles, only to discover the software doesn't even recognise its own dongle.

You sure it's not a hardware fault? This doesn't sound like any action I've ever found in Cubase when licences deactivate, or features change? Lazer's comment on software rings unpleasant bells. I bought a very expensive video virtual studio - three years later Adobe bought them out, and took a few features and built them into Premiere - the keyer, being the thing they wanted, They ran the software authorisation server for a year, then switched it off, and the software has no server the other end to authenticate. Damn annoying!

Only Cubase Rob. Its a brand new laptop, that otherwise seems ok.

My first interface, some years ago was a Tascam, I think it was U122, and came with an XP driver. Of course when XP faded away, they never produced drivers for later Windows versions. The perfectly good interface was rthen useless, and I threw it away. Not wanting to make the same mistake again, I bought Focusrite next time, and they seem more willing to update drivers.

It's a shame you tossed the interface. There was a workaround to get the XP/VIsta 3.40 drivers to install and run under Win7. It wasn't flawless, but other than a shutdown issue, it worked.

I think part of the issue has to be public Wifi. Years ago, I had sites that wouldn't load if I was at the local McDonalds or Taco Bell. They apparently had a whitelist of sites, but blocked many. I'm sure the library does that as a way to protect kids from getting to any site not deemed appropriate.

My sister don't have internet, she uses her cell phone for a hotspot. She gets 3GB/month of hotspot data. If she needs to do updates, she either brings her computer over to my house, or to her son's and ties into the Wifi directly.

Do they still have internet cafes in the UK? When I was there many years ago, that's how I had to connect to get email. Or if you have a neighbor with kids, maybe they would let you tie into their wifi long enough to do the updates.

One last thought, are you sure you are going to the right site? Accessing Steinberg.net? It comes up on my browser, but its been years since I accessed it and I don't have the password handy. Steinberg activation / reactivation

FWIW, one of the reasons I didn't stick with Cubase LE 5 or 6 was because of the activation hassle. Reaper just installs, and I have my key backed up on my backup drive, computer and a USB drive. I can install it on any computer I use and copy one little file... PRESTO. Everything works. Dongles... forget about it! I wouldn't support any system that uses one.

Yes Talisman, the libraries do block certain websites. Some years ago the main library blocked me from accessing the SoundOnSound website, and told me to speak to staff if I think it should'nt have been blocked, but I was too busy for that.
I operate just like your sister. We just had full fibre layed in the street, but Im waiting to see what deals will be offered.
There are some internet cafes, the other side of town, I think mostly used by transient foreign language students. Never been in one though.
Pretty sure its the right site. I can access it on this Win8.1 laptop, but have yet to try it at the library.

I feel for you. I'm 65 and I'm sick of PCs telling me what I can and cannot do.
I have 9 computers. 5 are Macs, the other 4 I don't use.

One last thought, are you sure you are going to the right site? Accessing Steinberg.net? It comes up on my browser, but its been years since I accessed it and I don't have the password handy. Steinberg activation / reactivation

STOP PRESS!!!......Cubase 11 appears to be working again.
I explored the link suggested by TalismanRich, then entered the error message 'Recording Too Many Tracks'. Near the top of the list from Cubase Help was the suggestion that my hard drive may be on the way out. It was actually a brand new Kingston SSD drive. There was another indication about the Kingston drive, from my stand alone SATA drive cloning device, which refused to clone a Kingston SSD. So I ordered a new Sandisk ULTRA 3D SSD, fitted it today, et voila!
It appears Kingston SSD drives are flakey, so don't buy them!
Music projects here we come.

Good deal! Hopefully you can get your money back on the Kingston.

When SSDs work, they are fantastic. My Dell desktop that is used for things like taxes, email, Youtube watching etc, went from about a minute and half boot up to about a 15 second boot up. You really wouldn't think it was an old AMD PhenomX6 from about 12 years ago.

It was actually a brand new Kingston SSD drive. There was another indication about the Kingston drive, from my stand alone SATA drive cloning device, which refused to clone a Kingston SSD. So I ordered a new Sandisk ULTRA 3D SSD, fitted it today, et voila!
It appears Kingston SSD drives are flakey, so don't buy them!

Kingston drives are good (currently I have one in my laptop and two saved for emergency replacement, all of them 120GB). Unfortunately they cr*pped heavily in their A400 series, specially in the 240+ GB drives and if you look up in Internet you will find a lot of complain about them. There is a particular batch of the A400 series that came with an issue in the controller and I was one of the "prized" customers. A couple years ago I decided that I needed a bit more room in my desktop system drive and replaced my old 120GB with a 240GB A400 SSD. Well my drive ran for less than 6 months and then had sudden death: I was using the computer (Windows 10) and just out of the blue everything frozen. So I reset the PC and when it tried to reboot it never found the system again. Going check the BIOS I realized that the disk wasn't even being recognized anymore. Just like that. I then placed back the old 120GB disks and used it happily until one week ago. No, it didn't die... I just decided again that was time for a new attempt with a bigger disk. This time after some research I realized that no one of the current available Kingston series in the market would be a safe option so I decided to try the unknown (but well spoken) brand "Crucial" and picked the BX500 model with 240GB. Very happy with it so far but still don't know if it will endure. I was almost picking a Sandisk but I read so many comments against it that I didn't want to take my chances. But if the Crucial disappoint me I will try a Sandisk.

Good to know that you are back to business! :thumbs up:

Back