software help

timnmelinda

trying to set up recording studio for my daughter, I have been studying lots, trying to decide between cubbase se, cakewalk home studio 2004 xl,and powertracks. I started out thinking cakewalk but everywhere I read says it has the hardest learning curve.
She will be recording guitar, vocals, electronic drums either via soft synth or drum machine and I am trying to encourage additional playing with soft synths.....Please help I keep going round and round trying to decide and frankly I have to start her with something

If she's just getting started, Powertracks would be a good choice. It seems like a pretty complete program. I use Cubase SX myself (very pricey) and know that SE is a stipped down version. That wouldn't be a bad option either, $50 more than Powertracks, but you could upgrade to higher versions and expand as needed. Are you thinking this will be more of a hobby, or might it build into something more serious? Since you are thinking about soft-synths, I think Cubase handles this type thing well (VST's and DXi's) and does great a midi. My big thing with Cubase is that you start with SE, and then if needed, can upgrade to the more powerful versions with more features. That's just me I guess. Then you're not learning another program. SE in comparable, if not better than Powertracks in features.

Cakewalk Home Studio is a decent program too - there are people here who are using it. You could also look at Magix Music Studio Deluxe, which is a nice program in that general price range (which contains features from the very powerful multitrack software Samplitude). I know this add's yet another program into the fray! Sorry about that!

thanks for the thoughts

She is really very serious about her music, she is a wonderful singer, has performed publicly several times, she is getting pretty good with the guitar and is pretty good with keyboards, I believe it is something she will take and persue seriously, but then again I have been wrong b4, but I still believe in getting her the best supplies I can afford, I would rather pay a bit more at first than running out and buying all over again, so I am going to mull over the cubase with the potential to upgrade, as well as see if anyone else shares their thoughts. Thanks again!

tim. ive been both a powertracks user for many years and magix music studio for about 2 years. there are many advanced users who dont need anything more. just ask users on the respective forums. pgmusic.com and magix.de. both packages can be as beginner or advanced as anyone needs.
ive recorded for many many years and never felt either restricts me in any way. the best thing is to try the demoes and see which meets your needs best. if you are looking for easier midi features then powertracks i find is easier for me. also powertracks has vocal harmonisation built in which
magix does not(ie; you sing a vocal and it computer generates a vocal harmony). for either package i would recommend you have a powerfull 1.3ghz plus pc with 512 ram. just try the demoes. i assure you either will keep your daughter (or yourself) happy recording songs for many many years. also a very FUN package to try is pgmusics band in a box.
ive found a lot of "younguns" have a lot of fun with it.
basically you choose a song style ie: rock, blues, jazz etc etc and it creates a back up band in software. i cant go into all here. but just try the demo. its highly addictive. having created the back up band. you then import into
poiwertracks and record all your other live instruments and vocals.
i urge you to just try it. many schools and professional songwriters and music instructors use it.
peace.

Well, I might be a little biased towards Cubase :) , but I didn't jump right into it. I used to use Powertracks back in about 1995 or around that time on an old Dell laptop. It has evolved quite a bit. They do offer a demo, and Steinberg doesn't have a demo of Cubase SE that I know of. Hopefully some others will chime in and help you out.

Back