Software Equals Sound??????!

tonesponge

I was standing in Pro Audio at Guitar Center today for 45 minutes waiting for the one person working there to finish selling this guy a Behringer amp so I could buy a couple of TRS cables. In between thoughts of just leaving and ordering the cables online, I got treated to another customer's lecture about recording software. He wasn't lecturing me. He was lecturing this girl he was leading around by the nose. But what he said to her really surprised me.

Basically, what he said that surprised me is that the choice of recording software is very important because the software companies all have their own idea about what music should sound like, so when you buy that software, you are buying that sound. Now, giving him the benefit of the doubt, I can see how having different plugins included could have a little bit of impact in the quality of this or that effect. And maybe some auto-mastering software that might be included could have a big impact on the final result. But I have a hard time believing that recording the same song in Logic and Pro Tools, and then using the same after market plugins in the same way, will result in any different sound to the mix.

Am I off base? Does the choice of recording software really impact sound like this guy was saying?

I wouldn't think the difference would be all that noticeable if you were using only the effects and not the built-in instruments.

I wouldn't think the difference would be all that noticeable if you were using only the effects and not the built-in instruments.

Oh, very good point. If she was a keyboard player, planning on using virtual instruments, that would make a whole lot more sense.

This topic has been argued for many many years.

The guys in the big multi-kajillion dollar studios did a ton of double-blind tests
(after all their jobs and careers were on the line...)
and NONE of them could tell the difference when the different sequencers
were properly set up on the same hardware.

Back