Software Drum Sample Player

MONTE

Hi Folks!

I'm looking for software (freeware would be good!) to play some drum samples. Basically what I have is a Roland TD-7 brain and some pads. However, the sounds I need are not available on the machine. I have built the samples already as .wav files in my PC. I now need to be able to midi the TD7 to the laptop so that I can trigger the sounds.

I'd like to have about 5 different sounds per patch/program and be able to have several programs (one per song). I don't need sequencing, mixing, etc.- the simpler the better. I also need to be able to switch programs/songs via midi. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Hi Folks!

I'm looking for software (freeware would be good!) to play some drum samples. Basically what I have is a Roland TD-7 brain and some pads. However, the sounds I need are not available on the machine. I have built the samples already as .wav files in my PC. I now need to be able to midi the TD7 to the laptop so that I can trigger the sounds.

I'd like to have about 5 different sounds per patch/program and be able to have several programs (one per song). I don't need sequencing, mixing, etc.- the simpler the better. I also need to be able to switch programs/songs via midi. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Most DAWs can do this. What DAW do you have? You will be able to make a MIDI instrument with all the samples and you will be able to switch through the MIDI instruments with something like a MIDI footpedal. I'm in the process of doing something like this myself.

Thanks for the replies guys!

@guitarplayr82: My DAW does not have this capability. The only thing MIDI it uses is for sync.

@TimOBrien: I'll have a look at Shortcircuit. At first glance, it looks a bit complicated for my drummer, and I'm trying to find something he can work with himself so that I don't have to do all of his programming.

I don't know if it exists, but I'd like to find something where you just asign a sound and a midi note to a key/pad and it plays. The only other thing it would need would be the ability to save "kits" and recall them via midi. I do all of the sample editing elsewhere.

Thanks again for your help!

I don't know if it exists, but I'd like to find something where you just asign a sound and a midi note to a key/pad and it plays. The only other thing it would need would be the ability to save "kits" and recall them via midi. I do all of the sample editing elsewhere.

In Shortcircuit, all you have to do is drop a .wav file on a key. Simple as that.

You can then save the set and change them whenever you want.

Can't get much simpler. I know it looks daunting at first, but play with it and you'll see how simple it can be.

You need a vst host program (a sequencer like Reaper, Cubase, Sonar, etc.)
Drop the .dll file in the vst folder of the sequencer.... the os has nothing to do with it.

If you want to run it as a stand-alone program, you could use a free vst host program like Toybear's MINIHOST.

Back