Software compatibility....

Nateneal1966

I am a rookie to computer recording but ready to take the dive.
I am looking at the different softwares...cubase, cakewalk, protools etc.

I have a freind using cubase and another with a digital work station.

My question is simple to someone who is familiar with the softwares.

When I right a few tracks in sonar can i burn the disk and work on the project on cubase or on the work station? Are the languages used th same for the different computers. If not what is the "standard" used in industry for working tracks and sharing work?

The actual audio files will most likely be wav files, which can be read by any PC. You may have problems importing the mixing settings (Fader levels, pan settings, plug-in settings) between different software.

ya that is one of the big reasons why a lot of people want to go with protools. they think if they start the song on their home setup, they can bring their files to a big studio (which most likely runs protools) and be assured of compatability.

In sonar, you can combine all of your raw wavs as well as an info file which has all of the song's settings into a movable package. you can take this file to any other computer running sonar. I don't think it would cross over to cubase though

So...
When i record tracks it will be a wav file which is uniformily recognized between the sonar,hoem studio, cake walk, etc.

So collabaration can occur on multiple platforms, although some of the details may be lost between the softwares.

By the way.. How much memery does a typical song take up while recording?

Maybe a max MB for an answer?

For a WAV file at 44.1 sampling rate, the file size is about 10.35 MB/minute. Multiply that by the number of tracks per song.

Now that's hard drive space that is required. Not RAM.
You may be clear on that already but I just wanted to make certain. :cool:

Back