Software amp modeler

Halion

I just got a second hand (but amazing) Jazzmaster and I'm mainly gonna use it for recording. I have a cheap small line 6 amp, and suffice it to say, it doesn't cut it for recording.

I'm looking into getting a software modeler. I must say, I'm not really impressed by most of them so far. I am not looking for a pod / vamp type of hardware device. This is what I've tried sofar:
- Amplitube
- Guitar Rig (1 only)
- Waves GTR
- Some freeware stuff

Before you guys start bashing, I tried most of this at school, and the rest from demo versions.

Anything else you guys can recommend? I am not looking for "decent", I'm looking for high quality stuff.

I fully realize that micing a nice tube amp will smoke any amp modeler, and I have done this on every end product so far, but I want to see how far I can get without going the amp micing route.

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Isn't Waves GTR supposed to be the top of the line? The same with guitar rig? So you have tried all these packages and nothing has made you want to buy that particular software? See the thing is with the software is they say no matter how good it is it will never sound as good as a real amp. I have heard a few guys get some great tones out of software and then feed a amp with that. I think you would get mixed result with using straight software. Of course these are just my opinions.

Have you tried the new versions of Guitar Rig and Amplitube? They both are currently at version number two. With some tweaking it's possible to get some good sounds out of them. I actually wrote a review for Amplitube 2 for RockReviews (link to the Amplitube 2 review ) and included some brief sample recordings to demonstrate its tonal quality. I've tried almost each guitar amp modeling plug-in, and found out that by combining guitar rig 2 and amplitube 2 you can get rather good results (double track everything - one track running amplitube and the other guitar rig). :)

Thanks, those samples were pretty cool.

I still feel they are lacking though. I saw a NAMM (or was it AES?) video of Waves GTR, with the dedicated direct box thing. I was impressed, even though it was a highly compressed video file.

Halion said:
Thanks, those samples were pretty cool.

I still feel they are lacking though. I saw a NAMM (or was it AES?) video of Waves GTR, with the dedicated direct box thing. I was impressed, even though it was a highly compressed video file.
Yep, waves GTR is good... and as I said earlier, combining two amp models can give some great results (for example, Amplitube 2 and Waves GTR or Guitar Rig 2). Unfortunately I couldn't use any other processing on the samples, since I was merely reviewing Amplitube 2 and the purpose of those samples was to demonstrate what one gets from Amplitube 2 alone. If I'd put some multiband compression there and doubletrack using modeling of Waves GTR or Guitar Rig 2 I'd be able to get some great sounds. So experimentation is the key here. :cool:

I'm glad that you enjoyed the quickly recorded improvised samples I made. :)

Yeah, even though I wasn't so impressed tone wise, it did show some great potential especially for some experimental stuff. I'm still having a hard time getting a decent medium heavy crunch out of these things though. I'm using a DMP3 as a guitar DI, and even though it's suppost to work fine like that, I feel it's sucking some highs out of my tone. I'll try to mix and match and see what I can come up with.

Halion said:
Yeah, even though I wasn't so impressed tone wise, it did show some great potential especially for some experimental stuff. I'm still having a hard time getting a decent medium heavy crunch out of these things though. I'm using a DMP3 as a guitar DI, and even though it's suppost to work fine like that, I feel it's sucking some highs out of my tone. I'll try to mix and match and see what I can come up with.

i'm with you on that.

You're definitely right about those heavy crunch tones - those are amongst the most difficult ones to get from amp modellers while sounding authentic... usually I end up doubletracking everything, and using lots of eq and compression to get a decent tone. I'll record something brief for you to listen, that'll sound better than those clips when I have the time.

You should try this: http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Freeware or not, it's got some of the best modelled tones you'll hear. Haven't heard Amplitube II yet, but IMHO, this software drops all over both Amplitube I and Revalver from a great height (although admittedly it only models two amps and some stomps).

Phildo said:
You should try this: http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Freeware or not, it's got some of the best modelled tones you'll hear. Haven't heard Amplitube II yet, but IMHO, this software drops all over both Amplitube I and Revalver from a great height (although admittedly it only models two amps and some stomps).
Well, I was going to mention that one as well since I especialy use its stomp boxes with guitar rig and amplitube. My review of SimulAnalog Guitar Suite can be found at http://www.rockreviews.org/softreviews/simulanalogguitarsuite.php

Haven't done any samples though, but it's free so you should try that out. :)

Have amplitude, simulanalog, boogex, and some other one I can't remember. My biggest gripe with Sw modelers is the latency issue; even with a fast 3.0 gig pc and lots o ram and good buffer, I can't stand tracking with the guitar model 3ms is too much. The alternative is recording dry, adding model post or you can get around the latency issue by input monitoring but no model. Try a pod front end. Not the best but workable. Nonetheless, and more to the point I prefer amplitude. Judicious use of eq and compression will go a long way. Note, that the JCM 900 model in one of those is stellar.(well not really, but it is pretty good)

Not at home so I can't tell you which program but I am certain someone here can tell you. Do a search for vst plug-ins (or direct x) there is good freeware out there.

For the latency thing it helps to crank up the sound, either thru your speakers or headphones, so that you can't hear your guitar acoustically along with the sim sound. I use closed back headphones and turn them up pretty loud.

I use guitarsuite some times but I almost always prefer revalver.

Back