soft synths

austexman

hello...i was going to purchase a keyboard "work station" with real sounds as well as cool synth sounds that included a sequencer and sampler...

i was told that software synths are the new deal and would be interested to know if anyone knew of a good one under a thousand...

Um...soft synths are "the new deal" and they are useful and cool for some things.

But IMHO nothing beats a good keyboard workstation. I'd only recommend a softsynth if

a) you already had a keyboard and wanted more sounds
b) want a self contained playback system that requires no extra hardware, or
c) have no interest in using a keyboard to record MIDI performances.

The problem with having ONLY a soft synth is that, depending on your system, you will have a slight (or not so slight) lag between when you hit the key and the note actually plays. With the correct settings, most DAWs can reduce this lag to where it is unnoticeable, but when your audio track count or your synth voice count starts getting high, you have to adjust the DAW settings to accomodate and the latency gets more and more noticeable.

That said, I do a great deal of soundtrack composition with only my DAW, and outboard keyboard controller, and a soft synth called Sample Tank.

http://www.sampletank.com.

I don't remember how much it costs ($500 or so for the full VST version?) but I've been pretty happy with it for the 2 years or so that I've been using it. The sounds are mostly useable and it serves my purposes- which aren't all that much.

If you'd tell us what you'd like to do, I imagine one could be alot more helpful

If you're interested in dance/ectronic music, check out Absynth or Reaktor from Native Instruments

If you'd like to do modern pop or new wave, look at Pro-52 from Native Instruments or The Oddity from GMedia and Ohmforce. Both are recreations of classic analogue synths that are fairly good, so I've heard.

A good all around synth for rock/pop or dance is the new Albino from LinPlug. It's got some nice oscillators, and over 500 fabulous presets.

For organ, the B4 NI can't be beat (ezpecially with the different tonewheel collections)

For a sound module, Sample Tank is the best Ive found

All of these are under $250, with most being around $100-150

For a good list, and bunches of free synths (check out Triangle I and II and FreeAlpha, and the 'killer' series) have a look at the K-v-R resource You can search by instrument type, as well as plug-in extension, and just for the free synths

You need a VST-compatible sequencer to host these synths. Check out the FruityLoops demo if you don;t have one

Good Luck
Chris

I agree with the above posts. It does depend on what you want to do and, nothing will, at this point, substitute for a good workstation. You should start with a good workstation and then add soft synths for two reasons. First, before you get to the latency, there is the controller that you will need. Therefore, since you will need a controller and sounds, you may as well purchase a workstation. Workstations also help you to do things a bit quicker and you will get a large variety or readily available sounds.

Second, and actually, somewhat related, soft synths are combersome at times, require setup, have latency, can crash you computer at the worst possible moments and, really tax you CPU power and thus may greatly reduce track count. If you want to emulate an orchestra, you will need a fairly high track count.

Many pros with the csh and busy schedules have seperate computers for thier soft synths, usually a Gigastudio or two. This is similar to sample tank however Giga only works on PC and Sample Tank can work on Mac. Giga has the decidedly better samples availbel in its format though.

If I were purchasing today, I would most definetly choose betwwen a Triton workstation or a Motif workstation depending on which suited my needs, then add soft synths and soft samplers,

So, with that said, recently, I was with a well known keyboardist whom you most certainly have heard on many well known recordings. He recently sold his Motif workstation, purchased the module and is using a controller for all modules and soft synths. That is certainly possible and would be workable, however, you should consider that the rest of the room contained at least $100,000.00 worth of ourboard gear of ever pursasion.

Oh yeah, one other thing, workstations such as the Triton and Motif have built in effects which can be and are very useful and important.

In the final analysis, it is never, every the euipment you have but what you do with it. Remeber, too much emphasis is placed on the technology and not enought on the artistry but all too many folks.

If you can get the sound you want without spending much, then go for it. Also, an interesting quote I recently read though I am paraphrasing since I do not recall the exact quote or who actually made it but, the quote was that it was better to really know one instrument that to have an arsenal of keys and modules that you do not quite know how to work all that well.

So, you see, choose the instrument that gives you most of what you want in a self contained package, learn the shit out of the thing and you will probably be better off than someone with a score or more of modules, soft synths, samplers and what have you that has only a cursory knowledge of how they all work.

The end.

THANKS for the input

I actually was considering a motif 6 so that reconfirms the popularity of the keyboard...i have heard great things..

as far as what i'm using it for...well...i write rock/pop and really am not a keyboard player....but was interested in having piano
and synth sounds with sequencing capabilities...

the last thing i need is to be bogged down with too much cpu drain and not enough tracks....so....i think i'll start with the motif and go from there...

later dewds.

Back