soft synth for...

I've got fm7 and it's got some great sounds on it. Absynth is cool too. Very cool if you learn all the ins and outs of programming it.:)

If you want those fat analog style basses, the Pro-53 is great for that. I just got mine and I have been having a blast playing all those old sounds. Its really a nice piece of work. Basically a great sounding prophet 5 in software.

I have listened to FM7 and that is on my list of things to purchase as well. I have not auditioned it, so I can't say if it would give youwhat you are looking for. There are demo versions of both at the native instruments website. Try 'em both.

Steinberg Model-E is good too. I have that and the Pro-52, tend toward the E for basslines and the Pro for most other things - probably 'cos I've played a Prophet-5 for the last 20 years, and never spent any time with a Minimoog (on which the Model-E is based).

I just picked up the FM7 and have been having some fun with that one. It can play all the old DX7 files, but it also has some additions like extra operators and some effects and a control to simulate an analog sound. I will probably end up using it mostly for effects, but it also has some nice basses in it. Still, I like the Pro-53 better for synth bass.

If you are into FM synthesis, you'll like the FM7. If you hated the DX7, you probably won't like it. My reasoning is that every synth has its own sound and texture. Having a bunch can give me a ton of different colors, which is partly why I bought it. I also own an original DX7, so its kinda nostalgic to go back and play all the old sounds.

I only use the FM7 for bass "raw material". Personally I think it's bass sounds suck, or at least I haven't been capable of programming any. But I have had good luck filtering and editing the fuck out of some FM7 bass sounds.

I find the Pro-52 puts out good bass a lot more readily on it's own.

barefoot

ok cool...

thanks for the response. i like to buy software instead of downloadin... so i like to research a little 1st. thanks for the responses

I think the new Trillogy by Spetrasonics will be much better for basslines (sound quality), then any titles mentioned in this thread. If you heard Stylus in action then you would agree.

Back