Socket A to 939... any Performance Gain?

Booda

Master of the Obvious
Hi, I am still running a Socket A AMD 2800 Barton, 2G Ram setup for my Recording PC.

I have recently repaired a friends 939 setup and was amazed at How Much More performance his PC had. I did a Stress test and it seemed like I could run as many Plug-ins as I wanted. I loaded up about 8 reverbs and a bunch of Comps and the CPU was barely at past 50%. MY setup I can run about 2 Reverbs along Many EQs, 5 Comps ect... Reverbs eat up the CPU.

I can get a 939 MB w/ a 3000+ CPU for $50... My ddr2-400 RAM will still work w/ this 939 platform. One thing... he runs PT and I run cubase SX... but I could tell in General his PC had way more going on... and I'm sure Reverbs (R-VERB) eat up CPU in PT just the same.

What do you think?
Thanks,
B.

Alot depends on the motherboard too. The 939 socket is out of date and you can get a AM2 or AM2+ board and a Athlon 5600 dual core cpu and 4 megs of ddr2 for under $200. Check prices at newegg. Spend 150 more and really gain some performance.

I have a socket 939...Asus AV8 Deluxe...I've had this rig since 2005 and it's quite a powerful setup. I initially built it to play Counter Strike.

Anyway, it's a pretty strong plugin runner...it doesn't do no wrong

I just built two new pc's and ordered stuff for two more. I built a new gane rig (personal pc) and I just ordered stuff to redo my music pc and my one of my kids pc. My old game rig I handed down to them and I'll do the same with the old music pc. I do alot of hand me down pc's :) The slowest one goes in the garage for projects. Last count I have 7 household pc's. I have alot of old motherboards and cpu's. I need to clean stuff out.

What CPU did the other guy have?
it's a 3200+ and I'm pretty sure it's Not a Dual core.

Alot depends on the motherboard too. The 939 socket is out of date and you can get a AM2 or AM2+ board and a Athlon 5600 dual core cpu and 4 megs of ddr2 for under $200. Check prices at newegg. Spend 150 more and really gain some performance.
I hear ya... it's just that my RAM will work w/ the 939 board and the whole thing is this... My 2800+ system runs Great and does a great job BUT for less than $100 (like) $70 I could have a pretty good performance jump.

I actually just found a deal for $100 that is a 939 w/ 3800+ dual core... I might go w/ that.

Thanks a ton for the replys (Monkey Allen too).

B.

Back