so you think you need the latest computer???

dastrick

huh???
Just so you know....

I do a lot of recording with this setup with absolutely NO problems. I record at 24/44.1 and have recorded up to 16 tracks at a time.

Dell P4 2.8
2 GB RAM
generic firewire card with Ricoh (sp?) chip
Presonus Firestudio
External USB drive
Reaper
WinXP 32 bit

This thing is rock solid. Now, I only use this for tracking and not mixing.

I just figured I would post this to let people know that you don't necessarily HAVE to have the latest and greatest.

Thanks,

The only things I did was turn off the screen savers/power saving options and in the Control Panel set the performance option to Adjust for Best Performance.

Tracking into a DAW doesn't put a lot of strain on the computer...I track at 24/88.2 and can do as many tracks, and my current DAW is even older/slower than yours...I just recently got another PC that's only as fast as what you have --- 2.8 GHz, though it has dual XEON processors.

I don't mix ITB...I only edit, and then mix out from the DAW through a console/outboard gear. The biggest strain is on the hard drives for tracking and playback....but most people who use a DAW tend to mix ITB, and so they will end up using tons of plugs and processing...and THAT is what requires a faster system, lots of RAM...plus fast drives too.

I used to have a custom computer with a pentium 4 3.4 ht processor with 2 gb of ram. It tracked well but when mixing it struggled greatly because of the real-time effects that are so cpu intensive.

Yeah. I'm sure that mixing on this machine would be difficult. But a lot of people think that they have to have the most up to date machine for everything when that's not the case.

I mix on a slightly more up to date machine. Core 2 Duo, 3 gb RAM, XP, reaper.

Back