So, when does it become "good money after bad"?

dafduc

I have this 3-year old PC. A few problems over the years - bad software install forced a reinit and lost a bunch of stuff, it's on its 3rd modem, 2nd CD-RW drive. I added a second hard drive, and doubled the ram. It's an 866mhz Compaq P3, now with 512mb ram. Running WME.

I've been okay about buying USB devices, figuring they'll port to my next environment. But right now, my CD-RW is USB, and it's slow as hell - because I'm only running USB 1.1.

I could add a card to upgrade to 2.0 (the CD-RW supports 2.0, and will burn at 16x instead of 4x), but it would be of no use on the next PC, which would have 2.0. The new one was going to come early 2004, but $$$ are tight. And a H/W upgrade will likely force me into WXP, which will force me to upgrade Cubase (5.1) and Encore - more $$$.

In the past, I've been burned buying hardware to extend a machine's useful life. More than once.

So how do you guys handle this? Where do you draw the line on upgrading the old POS?

BTW, a USB 2.0 card is probably only $40 or so - I'll probably take the plunge. But I'm thinking I need to draw a line somewhere.

Daf

Oh man, that litany of computer struggles touched a chord in me.

I figure the bottom line is this: it's okay to keep buying the new bits that'll keep the system running if...

1 you'll be able to use them in the new system

2 they don't cost so much that you might as well buy a new system

My rule of thumb so far (and despite its pain-in-the-ass factor, it's worked out well) is this: if I can still do what I want to do with this system, don't replace it.

btw, I'm burning CDs at 2X. I'm actually *hoping* the burner breaks LOL.

Your first sentence said it all - 3 year old pc. The statute of limitations has expired on that.

What you can do is replace your MB, new cpu, new ram, new video card and get another hard drive and maybe a dvd burner. You get to keep you case, power supply (if at least 350W), modem, sound card, old HD as a backup, monitor, keyboard etc. You end up with a hot new PC for around 2/3 the price of a retail one

you can run MS DOS 6.0 if you like... you won't be forced to use WinXP... so you can continue using Windows ME... don't worry about it. a ton of people still use 9x.

Back