So whats a good value based mic these days?

Eddie N

10 Inch Member
I need a decent mic/preamp/soundcard set up for recording voice overs for television commercials. I'm not up on the latest in mic technology so I don't know where to start searching for a mic.

So..... whats today's best value based mic for recording voice overs? By value based I'm trying to keep my mic cost under $150. Theres no need for me to go big budget on this.

Also, is the ART Tube MP still the best value? I see that 8th street has it for only $50. Last I remember it was $100. Once again, I don't need anything fancy since I'll be doing all my effects in post.

And that brings me to my soundcard. Is there anything decent with only a few inputs? What about maybe something with built in preamps?

Thanks for the help.

Eddie

I use a Studio Projects B1 for commercials and PSA's. It is very quiet and pretty much gives you back what you put in. At $80. it's awfully nice. I think now for $99. you get the shock mount included. There's also the MXL v67g that goes for about $99. Some like it on their voices very much. Also, there's a CAD 177 that gets fine reviews. Made in Ohio. I believe about $160. with a shock mount.

Can't help you with PC stuff.

Two budget preamps come to mind: The Studio Projects VTB1 @ $129. (VERY quiet, with an option to dial in a tube circuit, one-channel) and the M-Audio DMP3 @ $150. (very quiet, 2-channel, no tube circuit).

If you're going to be doing this stuff professionally and getting some air time, I would spring for something like a Shure SM-7 or an Electrovoice RE-20. And pick up a used Symetrix 528 voice channel to go with it -- perhaps a Rane MS-1B if you don't need the extra bells & whistles.

I've used a CAD Global Audio GXL2400 for some voice over projects and it's been pretty impressive for the price. It runs between $70-80 new on eBay. I've been working with an MXL V67g lately. It sounds pretty good. Still trying to get the best settings. For $199, there's the Rode NT1-A. A good mic, though it can be almost too bright. And I gotta go along with the MD421 for a good dynamic mic.

Another consideration is the nature of your recording environment. A dynamic mike like the RE20 or MD421 won't be as sensitive to background noise like a condensor would.

For a great VO value, I'd recommend a Studio Projects C1 mic through a Rane MS 1b mic pre. Soundcard would be which ever one by M-Audio that suited your needs and budget.

Back