So what makes a Radio Shack mic so crappy anyway?

What makes 'em so bad is the horrible way they make whatever you're trying to record sound!

Poor design, poor spec, cheap-ass cabling.... they really make 'em for people who don't know any better -- or for engineers who need a cheap way to get a really lo-fi sound! ;)

Bruce

It would be nice to be able to afford all those bitchin' mics, wouldn't it?;)

Some people have used the Rat Shack PZM mics. I've never messed with one of those. However I do have a couple of Rat Shack omni dynamics that are decent. I don't know if they sell them anymore. Ive had 'em about 4 years now. The part # is 33-1070C. These are made by Shure. They work good on any loud source where you don't need wide freq. response and don't want proximity effect. I've used 'em for drum overheads with a cassette 4-track with acceptable results. They also work good for micing open-back guitar cabs.

Just my $.02

I heard the Beatles recorded all of Revolver with Radio Shack mics, and edited everything using an earlier version of cakewalk on their Trash-80's because the G4 wasn't out yet. Eventually this became problematic and threatened to divide the band when Yoko kept coming by the studio because she was addicted to playing Pong and Castle Wolfenstein.

Back