so this is the singing forum?

erichenryus

great! i got some questions....but i'll start out with just one.

the top of my full range (where i gotta switch to head voice if i go any further) is somewhere around B or Bb.

I do this song with my current cover band where i'm singing backups and basically I'm singing this punchy Bb thing in the background (Aretha Franklin, Baby I Love You, if anyone knows the song).

So I noticed the other day, the only way for me to sing that note strong is to sing it really LOUD. If I try to sing anything in that range quieter it doesn't work out, which is ok for now but I'd like to get more use out of that range without having to sing that loudly.

Anyone have any tips?

Hmmm.... I'm interested in this too. On a good day, I can get a Bb, but it requires lots of air to get the note, and as a result, it really gets belted out.

In my training, I know there is a way to do just what you're asking, but I'm not quite there yet. The Bel Canto technique that I am learning involves a lot of "mental processes" - like the whole "inhaling the voice" thing. All I know as yet is that you have to "will yourself to do it more softly." :(

Chris

Drop the key down for now, and get lessons from
a classically based, professional vocal instructor.
Expect to do a LOT of exercises/scales.

Are you in a "mix" (blend of chest/true head voice), or in falsetto when you do this?

Chris

Chessparov, I'm not falsetto for sure. I'm just belting it out and dropping key is not an option for now. It's not like I'm killing myself to hit the note or anything, I just want to hit that range without putting so much effort into it. I'll post a clip and you can hear what I'm talking about.

I bought the Roger Love CD a while back on your recommendation I think. The excercises really helped a lot.

Need to go find a voice teacher pronto.

No "belting" please.

The great Italian tenor Beniamino Gigli always said, "sing on the interest, not on the capital".
Meaning only stretch (not strain) within the limits of your present technique.
No "effort" should be felt within the throat,
only relaxation.
He and Tito Ruffo (greatest of Baritones),
were the mentors of my last vocal teacher-
who was actually a "maestro" (higher level).

If you feel anything remotely like straining, you should stop immediately.

The book/warm-up & excercise CD, "Secrets of Singing", by Jeffrey Allen, and "Caruso's Method of Vocal Production", by P. Mario Marafioti,
would complement Love's book excellently BTW.

Chris

P.S. Not many untrained tenors have a decent
B flat. Take care of that voice.
You could have operatic potential
in addition to singing pop stuff! :)

Just wanted to add.

I'm a relative beginner in my high bass range,
and recently was caught "pushing" to sing a
low E, and low F by two basses.
When relaxed, they come out fine, but are not that strong yet. Voice is a lyric baritone right now.

So I have much to learn too.

Chris

WELCOME

erichenryus,

What is going on here is that you are simply at the top of your range and must struggle and stretch to reach the note.

ALL SINGERS HAVE THIS PROBLEM !

Here is some things that may help;

1. When you must hit this note, make the note extra nasal.
Produce the sound of this note from the top of your nose just before the eyebrows.

2. Any notes that you are singing just before that Bb keep at a slightly lower volume and then raise the volume, using your diapham to create crescendo, when you hit that big Bb.

3. At home practice scales that go above and beyond that Bb. Always using crescendo in the scales. Start a low volumes. KEEP THE HIGH NOTES NASAL, as you get better at the highs, you can reduce the nasality.

Back