So there's this guitar...

SacredDespair

ok, I was in the guitar shop yesterday, and the guy that runs it said he could give me an Ibanez PF Series PF5ECE Dreadnought Acoustic/Electric with hardshell for $350 if I bought it yesterday or today. I was wondering what you think of this guitar and also if it can do any distortion at all. I'm trying to decide, but I wanted your opinions first. Thanks

I can't answer this question, but I've played in Salisbury a few times. You ever been to the rainy day bookstore?

SacredDespair said:
ok, I was in the guitar shop yesterday, and the guy that runs it said he could give me an Ibanez PF Series PF5ECE Dreadnought Acoustic/Electric with hardshell for $350 if I bought it yesterday or today. I was wondering what you think of this guitar and also if it can do any distortion at all. I'm trying to decide, but I wanted your opinions first. Thanks

I don't know beans about that guitar, but always beware of "deals" that have to be made right now.

ggunn said:
I don't know beans about that guitar, but always beware of "deals" that have to be made right now.

Agreed. I distrust anybody who trys to feed me that line of bullshit.

Also. I would use an acou guit for acoustic music and an elec guit for any music that needs distortion.

The guy sounds like he used to sell used cars. There is rarely a good reason that the sale has to be today or tomorrow. It's just a device to close the deal with you.

Price is not bad. $299 from MF, no case. The new bargain Ibanezes aren't bad for the money. why, praytell, are you wanting to distort an acoustic? You'd probably be better off with an electric with a Fishman bridge, if you want to do much electric-sounding guitar, mixed with some acousticy sound. IMO YMMV.

uhhhh

you wont want to be trying to get distortion sounds from that ACOUSTIC guitar. acoustic/electric does not mean it does both, it just means its an acoustic that can be plugged into to a PA or amplifier to produce amplified, yet still acoustic, tones. any sort of distortion will cause immediate feedback, which can be damaging to the electronics, the guitar, and the amp/speaker.

if you want to do both, youd probably be better off buy an electric and using modelling to make it sound like an acoustic. most multi fx pedals have this effect and you can find it as a plugin for computer software aswell. although, it never sounds very good.

Adam

You guys remember that band Mary something, they sang that song "sex and candy". He used an acoustic guitar live through a marshall stack. Sounded pretty neat.

Pearl Jam used that too, an acoustic/electric through a vox combo on that song "immortality". It was used during the intro and probably backing tracks throughout the song.

But, I'd agree with anyone who has already stated that it sounds like crap and could damage something. I tried it once and I don't think my right ear will ever completely heal from that one... :D

I don't think I've ever heard of that book store, I spend a lot of time at Escape the Daily Grind, if you ever play there tell me so I can come. The guitar stor was Coleman's in China Grove, but I decided not to get the guitar. I think I'm really looking for a hollowbody electric and not an acoustic/electric, any ideas on those? Thanks for the comments and advice.

The PF series is VERY low end laminated import. The electronics are OK, but put you money into something without a PuP and add a nice piezo later.

Back