So really, how important is reverb?

bad news

on a rap song or any type of genre...
does a good sound require this, someone let me know?
i usually eq my shit,compress n add reverb

Reverb is very important. If you use the right amount. The difference in the sound with out reverb is, can make your recording sound like it was done in a tiny room. Everything would be very in-your-face. Add a little reverb, and it would space everything out.

- Idgeit

Some type of room ambience or reflection is important for making things sound more natural, and to give the individual tracks a sense of depth / dimension ... 3-D coordinates in theoretical space to put it another way.

Often, our ears will determine where a sound is coming from based, at least in part, on accoustical information.

Creative use of reverb can help open a track up, close it in, tuck it away, bring it forward even off to the side if used properly. So from a mixing standpoint, it can be an effective tool for "placing" individual tracks ... joining them together more or separating them, etc. It can help out very short transients, like snare hits, to seem louder and more powerful by elongating them, effectively speaking.

Also, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, it can just sound pretty.

Yo Mal noticerios:

I really like Chessy's words, "creative reverb."

I have spent long hours using different reverbs to to enhance female/male vocals. There is NO limit to what you might create with a "stage reverb" and some delay.

Each singing talent and the recording engineer have likes and dislikes. All EARS are slightly different. So, it really becomes a VERY creative art to pluck one type of reverb, assign it to one track and leave it off another track.

I've noticed with my new keyboard that many of the patches already have reverb -- so, I don't have to add anything.

On the other hand, I have been given tracks mastered by "someone" who left most all the tracks dry. So, I re-piped them into my DAW and un-piped them back into a CD that has "bounce" and "a pleasing sound to my ears" that really got good comments from the talent that recorded the original.

So, if you spend four hours tweaking reverbs on a vocal or a horn solo or whatever, you will really enjoy getting a final product that is "alive."

Can't stress enough about taking time to experiment with quality reverb.

Green Hornet :D :cool:

thanks for all the replies, understand it a bit more
one last thing, should i use reverb on my main verse vocals and not on my doubles or use reverb on my doubles and not my main, or both?
thanks

Yo Mal Noticerio:

Try it both ways; try it one way; try it sideways; try it and try it. When you get something that makes you kind of float to the ceiling and gently back to the deck--you will love it. And, so will those who listen to your tracks.

Green Hornet :cool: :D :p :D

Bad News, it's a creative process. Just like painting. If I were to ask you if I should paint dark clouds or light clouds ... a happy face or a sad face ... what would your answer be?

good point, well i just got a good reverb plug in i like(IR1)
so im goin to fuck around wit it and let yall know how it came out,
and thanks again

I have the same reverb unit... It's the tits!

Pretty darn heavy on CPU if you want to use more than one type of reverb but it does have a button that lessens the amount of CPU (and I can't tell the difference in the mix!).

Have a play with it you'll be seriously impressed... The vox plate it wicked!

Back