So Much Low End!

squibble94

Nature of Force
Hey guys, I've been having sort of a problem lately... It seems that whatever I record there is always so much low end on it. It's not really a low "boost," but sub frequencies are there. I compare my mixes to professional mixes, and it sounds like they have enough low end, but not so much that it's getting muddy. I don't think I should have to high-pass everything to get this done.

I compared pro mixes to my mixes on M-Audio BX5as, and ATH-M30 headphones. My room isn't treated, but if I'm comparing songs in the same room I should notice the frequency response. By the way, I know that pro mixes are "pro" for a reason, but I'm just talking about the low end. Do you guys have to high-pass everything?

Let me rephrase... Do you guys normally high-pass the bass? That seems to be my problem area. Getting a good bass tone is hard for me lately.

I wouldn't high pass everything. I would go through and find where the low buildup is coming from and fix just those tracks.

I wouldn't high pass everything. I would go through and find where the low buildup is coming from and fix just those tracks.

Yeah, I didn't really mean everything. I just wanted to know if that was something people have to fix or not, or if it's just due to my crappy bass. Maybe a little of both.

I would say almost always some contouring on the low end on d/i and/or mic'd bass or kicks. Often (more often than boosting perhaps) that includes trimming/reducing whether bell dips or shelves (or HP filters.

Close micing can account for some of the need for trimming other instruments as well.

I would say almost always some contouring on the low end on d/i and/or mic'd bass or kicks. Often (more often than boosting perhaps) that includes trimming/reducing whether bell dips or shelves (or HP filters.

Close micing can account for some of the need for trimming other instruments as well.

Aha! So it wasn't just me! I kind of knew it all along, but I was getting skeptical. Haha thanks.

Shut up. :D Your recordings are perfect! I remember doing the mixing contest and thinking "wow, it's already 3/4's mixed!"

That's nice and all, but I try to start with good sounds to begin with. That's really all there is to it. If your bass is too boomy and muddy, start with a cleaner sound. Mic the center of the cone to get better midrange and attack out of it. I hate to say it, but most people have no clue how to get a good bass sound, so don't beat yourself up over it. :D

Part of the fun game is you go for tones that are your best guess', it's when you put them together at mix I find most of the need and direction for the tuning becomes more apparent. –Plus there's always 9 ways to 'reinterpret and decide to go at that point (mix) isn't there? I know my 'view changes as the mix refines!

I should mention I'm in' (or very nearly in) the same room as da'band during tracking. So.. sort of in CYA mode here. :)

to add.. Picking that balance of who and in which tone bands the kick and bass share is a tough one- but rewarding work! :)

That's nice and all, but I try to start with good sounds to begin with. That's really all there is to it. If your bass is too boomy and muddy, start with a cleaner sound. Mic the center of the cone to get better midrange and attack out of it. I hate to say it, but most people have no clue how to get a good bass sound, so don't beat yourself up over it. :D

Yeah, I know. By the way, I D.I. so that may be a problem itself. I know you can't polish a turd. I've been recording long enough to know all of the regular recording phrases. :D Thanks for the input though.

Yeah, I know. By the way, I D.I. so that may be a problem itself. I know you can't polish a turd. I've been recording long enough to know all of the regular recording phrases. :D Thanks for the input though.

I D.I. my bass, too. Straight in, no processing. Whether I have a good bass sound or not is a matter of opinion...but I never have a boominess problem. I've never had to cut the low's on my bass and I've never high-passed a kik or a bass. Like Greg says, the source sounds are the most important part of it. I usually have to fiddle with the volume and tone controls on my bass before tracking, to get the sound that I think will suit the song.

Shut up. :D Your recordings are perfect! I remember doing the mixing contest and thinking "wow, it's already 3/4's mixed!"

This is the answer to your question.

Greg's mixes sound 3/4 done at the tracking stage because (i assume) he puts the work in at the tracking stage.

it's become a cliche, but that's not always a bad thing! get it right at the source.

If you're setup/environment isn't ideal for real time monitoring, you're gona have to record-listen-change....record-listen-change for every instrument.

Doing this is better than any eq money can buy.

I'll give you an easy one: Waves Renaissance Bass. You can cut the dry signal and boost the harmonics with it, or blend the dry signal with the harmonics. A little of this goes a long way but you can have punchy bass without the mud. The brain will fill in the fundamental. Most people's stereos don't produce much below 60 Hz anyway unless they've got a subwoofer these days.

BTW the mud may actually be one of those harmonics and not the fundamental. Use an EQ and make a narrow Q cut (I'd go extreme like -18 dB to find it) and move it up from 20 - about 500 Hz on the bass track. When the mud disappears you found it. I used to high pass everything at about 50 Hz because it's pretty much mud below that, and a little below that goes a long way.

BTW I use primarily synth basses.

I D.I. my bass, too. Straight in, no processing. Whether I have a good bass sound or not is a matter of opinion....

My opinion is that it is good. Real good.

And don't forget your playing style. I'm pretty sure Rami uses a pick, and picks hard. He's got that tight plucky bass sound. I use a pick too, and I pick near the bridge for, you guessed it, a tight bass sound. It's still bassy enough to hold down the bottom end, but it's not riddled with a bunch of floppy low harmonics. That's our musical style though. Play with your playing style to get the sound you need in addition to tweaking the gear correctly.

This is the answer to your question.

Greg's mixes sound 3/4 done at the tracking stage because (i assume) he puts the work in at the tracking stage.

it's become a cliche, but that's not always a bad thing! get it right at the source.

If you're setup/environment isn't ideal for real time monitoring, you're gona have to record-listen-change....record-listen-change for every instrument.

Doing this is better than any eq money can buy.

Oh yeah, I try to get the best sound I can from the source. My bass has only 1 volume and 1 tone that adjusts brightness. There is no low cut on my interface, so that is as good as that source gets. Then again, I don't like the bass, so I'm aware I can't "polish a turd." Never said that was a bad thing! The idea is logical. Thanks for the response. The room treatment will happen, just not soon. I don't have any money. :o

My opinion is that it is good. Real good.

And don't forget your playing style. I'm pretty sure Rami uses a pick, and picks hard. He's got that tight plucky bass sound. I use a pick too, and I pick near the bridge for, you guessed it, a tight bass sound. It's still bassy enough to hold down the bottom end, but it's not riddled with a bunch of floppy low harmonics. That's our musical style though. Play with your playing style to get the sound you need in addition to tweaking the gear correctly.

Yes. I agree. I probably shouldn't have posted that I can't get a good bass tone, because I am aware that I'm not a fan of the bass tone.

Back