So many guitar players.

64Firebird

I've been going to the open mic Blues jams around town thinking that maybe I could hook up with some guys and start playing out again, but all that ever shows up are other guitar players. And a lot of them are real good!

The cool part is that every time I show up people seem glad to see me and I'm always invited to another jam someplace. As a matter of fact, someone told me tonight that I'm "10 times better" than one of my fav guitar players. (He must have been drunk. But, I can't seem to meet any bass and drum players.

Where are you guys?

64Firebird said:
I've been going to the open mic Blues jams around town thinking that maybe I could hook up with some guys and start playing out again, but all that ever shows up are other guitar players. And a lot of them are real good!

The cool part is that every time I show up people seem glad to see me and I'm always invited to another jam someplace. As a matter of fact, someone told me tonight that I'm "10 times better" than one of my fav guitar players. (He must have been drunk. But, I can't seem to meet any bass and drum players.

Where are you guys?

...I have the same problem when I try that method...I think they must hang out in a secret club or sompin'...

we like to disguise ourselves as guitar players, until the time is right, we spring out from the shadows with the p-bass drawn and lay down the funk!

or we just say we are batman.

freak

Bass Freak said:
we like to disguise ourselves as guitar players, until the time is right, we spring out from the shadows with the p-bass drawn and lay down the funk!

freak

:D :D :D

Bass Freak said:

freak

Does that mean that all bass players are nothing more than frustrated guitar players?

I try to take friends who are half assed guitarists and make them feel important by asking them to play bass.

Not to say bass players aren't talented. There are definitely many slappers and such that could kick my ass up and down the frets but it can't be ignored that a subpar six-stringer often times makes a damn adequate four stringer.

As for drummers, I've been looking in and around Chicago since October to join a paying band with no takers. If anyone knows where to dig these up, I'd love to hear.

Miles

Ah, the world is full of good guitar players. Finding a good bassist is like finding a gold coin and finding a great bassist is like the proverbial pearl of great price.

CR ><>

My first love is the guitar but if I really want to get out with a band and play and sing I will have to pick up my bass. Everybody thinks they are a guitar player and MOST are not. Guitar players that I have played with over the years have oversized egos and are a stubborn as a mule. That kind of attitude ruins the whole flow of the band so it is easier to just go with the bass so I can be out and playing and singing and no big heads..

I switched to bass 20 years ago because it was easier to find work. Just like now, back then there were guitar players out the wazoo. Everybody wants to be the star. I quit playing in bands about 5 years ago cause I got tired of all the ego trippers. And you wind up making only about 10 bucks an hour when it's all said and done. Not worth my time.

Dethska said:
If you are looking for drummers, you might try the drummer's forum, two links down from here. :D

I hadn't thought about looking for guys in here. I always think of everybody here as living someplace far away, but you're right.

(slaps forehead)

Last edited:
I've got the opposite problem. I know a ton of bass players and drummers. Ony a handful of decent guitarists.

That's very true, there are many guitar players but only a few are actually any good. Part of the problem might lie in the lack of instruction so many guitar players receive. I mean, just about every other person I know can grab a guitar and play a few chords, which in turn means they can play dozens of songs in the key of G, A, D, E or C. This in turn makes a bunch of them (I'd say maybe half) think that by learning a little more (maybe major and minor scales, the blues scale, 7th chords, improving their picking and strumming) they actual ARE guitar players. Technically are they?!! Or what does it take? IMHO, there are millions of people who can play songs on a guitar; there are hundreds of thousands who can even play the melodies and can harmonize a melody; there are thousands who are actally ok at it; but there are only hundreds of Great guitar players. Oh, and there is only ONE EVH!!!! :D

About bass players. It's true that many "guitar players" can grab a bass and, playing simple lines based around the root of the chord can accompany a band for a song or two; however, most of the truly good bass players don't use a pick, and their finger style playing, note choice, and just the thickness of the strings makes me really wonder, how many guitar players can actually do what a bass player does, successfully, and well?! Not too many... not too many at all....

Just my $0.02

Carlos

stonepiano said:
but it can't be ignored that a subpar six-stringer often times makes a damn adequate four stringer.

Miles

Yeah, great more guitarists playing the bass like a guitar, just what we need.

IMHO there is just no substitute for someone who loves the Bass guitar and loves to lay down a great groove, baby.:D

scottboyher said:
That's the problem...

I'll tell you what really pisses me off now days....

The last 4 or 5 guitarists I jammed with knew open chords.. major and minor, power chords, a little pentatonic noodling... but not one of them... NOT A SINGLE FUCKING ONE OF THEM new how to play a Major 7th chord. Unfucking believable. One of them knew how to play a barred min 7th... that was good to see. :rolleyes:

yeah. I think I get bonus points for writing a song that exclusively shuffles from Gmaj7 to Amaj7. And I can play it three ways!

carlosguardia said:
About bass players. It's true that many "guitar players" can grab a bass and, playing simple lines based around the root of the chord can accompany a band for a song or two; however, most of the truly good bass players don't use a pick, and their finger style playing, note choice, and just the thickness of the strings makes me really wonder, how many guitar players can actually do what a bass player does, successfully, and well?! Not too many... not too many at all....

Just my $0.02

Carlos

That is because most guitar players think that bass is easy and they would never stoop to that level. The fame is in the six string. What I have seen is that the bass players have most of the fun.

Back