So... Mackie Onyx?

ChristopherDawn

I'm just curious, I don't plan on buying one, but has anybody tried one of these yet? Anybody get a chance to compare them to the old Mackie VLZ pres? How about to the Soundcraft M Series pres?

I've got a 1620 now, and a 1640 on order for as soon as they come out (hopefully end of this month).

I have been getting LOTS of compliments from the artists -- everyone is LOVING the sound. Good, clean, detailed, crisp, solid. No real "color" - just pure signal. Dead quiet, unless you push into the very top of the preamp range.

I haven't been able to compare it directly head to head to other preamps - offhand, it seems better than the vlzpro preamps in the church's 1604, and better than the preamps in the d8b board, and better than the preamps built into the Aardvark 24/96.

I'm running the mixer out into a MOTU 24i/o and its working very well for me.

Build quality seems GREAT. This thing seems like a tank. Very heavy and solid.

-lee-

Yes, all three of the Mackie Onyx mixers can take an optional firewire interface..... but IMHO, the firewire is much better for live sound with a little recording on the side, than for use in a recording studio.

The reason I say that is that the firewire interface takes the signal RIGHT after the preamp -- before the EQ, even before the channel inserts. In other words, if you use the firewire interface, you can't patch any external equipment, such as a compressor, into the signal chain. Yes, its a nice clean signal to the computer, but it doesn't have any good routing flexibility. The direct outs take the signal from the same point, but at least you can get to the signal on its way to the computer.

On the other hand, the sound is great, so I'm still liking it. I run the direct outs into the MOTU. Typically, I don't use any outboard gear in the chain - I prefer to record dry and add effects later. Given a good 24 bit dynamic range, it works pretty well.

-lee-

I compaired the Mackie Onyx, VLZ, to my Soundcraft M12 and guess what? The Soundcraft sounded alot better then both. I don't know why everybody is so hooked on Mackie when you can get a Soundcraft m12 cheaper and it sounds twice as good - Pre and Eq.

laptoppop said:
The reason I say that is that the firewire interface takes the signal RIGHT after the preamp -- before the EQ, even before the channel inserts.

That seems kind of dumb. Are you sure there's no way to change that like the old Mackie Pre Fader Aux mod?

Yes, it is pretty dumb. The "official" word from Mackie right now is that there is no way to change it. I haven't opened up the mixer yet to look inside because its still under warranty, and I have sessions to run. ;)

I would hope they'd release a mod later, but I'm not expecting them to. IMHO, the cool place to pick off the signal would be right after the EQ - its a pretty sweet EQ, and there's already a hardware bypass switch if that's not what you want.

On the other hand, Mackie was pretty adamant that this was a deliberate design decision. By pulling the signal off there, you can record a live concert, adjusting everything all over the place, without affecting the recording. It makes some sense in that context, its just not as nice for a project studio.

Deepwater, how did you compare them? Did you have all three mixers in the same room at the same time with the same mics and monitors and signals, etc?

Thanks,

-lee-

deepwater said:
I compaired the Mackie Onyx, VLZ, to my Soundcraft M12 and guess what? The Soundcraft sounded alot better then both. I don't know why everybody is so hooked on Mackie when you can get a Soundcraft m12 cheaper and it sounds twice as good - Pre and Eq.

I have an M12. :)

Back