So I went to Ace Hardware today...

triple cubic

So I went to Ace Hardware today looking for fiberglass sheets to deaden the reflection inside my mic booth...

Me: Hi, I'm looking for some fiberglass for a recording studio to deaden sound reflection. Would you have anything like that?
Worker: Yeah, we do, but the state doesn't permit us to cut it into pieces. You have to just buy the whole sheet.
Me: Oh, really? Why is that? Is it because it's carcinogenic?
Worker: I'm not really sure...

So I guess I can't use fiberglass in my mic booth... He said it was specifically designed to go into walls only. Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem? He also tried to sell me some stuff called "soundboard" which was basically some fuzzy kind of cardboard stuff. He said a lot of people used it in noisy bedrooms or to stop stereos from bleeding through walls.

Any other materials I can use besides fiberglass?

Holla, peeps!!!

- T

Fiberglass doesn't cause cancer (AFAIK), but it's nasty stuff. If you don't handle it right you'll get splinters and if it isn't contained you can wind up breathing the fibers (yuck!).

I don't know whether this is what you're after, but Mars Music seems to have a really nice deal on some material ($99 for a whole mess of stuff. Go to marsmusic.com and search for "Auralex Home Studio Pack".

Hope this helps.

triple cubic said:
So I went to Ace Hardware today looking for fiberglass sheets to deaden the reflection inside my mic booth...

Me: Hi, I'm looking for some fiberglass for a recording studio to deaden sound reflection. Would you have anything like that?
Worker: Yeah, we do, but the state doesn't permit us to cut it into pieces. You have to just buy the whole sheet.
Me: Oh, really? Why is that? Is it because it's carcinogenic?
Worker: I'm not really sure...

So I guess I can't use fiberglass in my mic booth... He said it was specifically designed to go into walls only. Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem? He also tried to sell me some stuff called "soundboard" which was basically some fuzzy kind of cardboard stuff. He said a lot of people used it in noisy bedrooms or to stop stereos from bleeding through walls.

Any other materials I can use besides fiberglass?

Holla, peeps!!!

- T

You do have to cover it with something, some sort of cloth so that you wont breath the fibers.

The problem you ran into with the guy at Ace was he knows nothing about what your trying to do. You didn't fit his script. :p

Yes you'll probably have to buy a whole roll and cut it yourself. And you'll definately want to wear the proper safety gear and make sure you have it contained so the fibers don't pollute your booth.

HOME DEPOT sells their fiberglass in packages of individually cut strips to fit in 2x4 walls. They also have a plastic cover on them..I just bought a grip of it. $20 for 12 sheets......

Hey, where in Home Depot did you find the fiberglass board? They keep on telling me that they don't cary anything like that. What do they call it, and do you happen to still have the SKU # for the product.
Thanks,
Eric

I saw the compressed 'glass boards in the section with the MDF, soundboard, pressboard etc. It has a foil covering on one side. Sorry, don't have a SKU #.

I don't know what an SKU # is, but the company they sell is 'Johns Manville' and they have different sizes.. I use 'R-13' because it's pretty thin/cheap. Maybe you went to a smaller home depot?? Mine was on the other side of the isle of all of their plywood, etc.

T

ad0lescnts said:
I don't know what an SKU # is, but the company they sell is 'Johns Manville' and they have different sizes.. I use 'R-13' because it's pretty thin/cheap. Maybe you went to a smaller home depot?? Mine was on the other side of the isle of all of their plywood, etc.

T

So...how is it working out for you? Are you happy with the results?

well we're not done with our little project yet...we're actually putting it in the walls. but if you're just putting it outside, and using them for acoustics? then it would work really awesome. if you're doing it for soundproofing i dont know how well it will work....

Back