So I scored an 8-pad midi brain for 40 bucks...now what?

Halion

I've always wanted some kind of midi drum system, although I am no drummer. I scored this 8 pad to midi converter and I'm now looking into building my own drum system.

I don't want to build the standard midifacation of a practice kit. I'm not a drummer, but I can tap rythms like on my knees like you won't believe! :D So I'm looking for other, more creative ways of making a midi kit. I was thinking of making some kind of midi patches that I can stick on to my legs and hit them with my hands while sitting down. This using piezo speakers with a protective layer and a rubber layer on them. I'm kindoff not looking forward to having 8 cables come out of my pants though ;)

Anyone got any other ideas? I'm not ruling out using other kinds of sensors, like infrared beams (like the Roland D-Beam, although I don't see a clear use for drums in them).

I don't know if it will help, but I recall Mick Fleetwood in some type of "Triggering garment" for a solo section of their live show. You might be able to get some info about what he did.

:)

Used to work with a guy who's band was playing a Halloween show. The drummer used a trigger converter to take 8 signals from cheap radio shack piezo elements to drive a drum machine via midi. All relatively standard, except he mounted the piezos inside of 8 carved and lit pumpkins! Smacked 'em with his hands for a complete drumset or to trigger effects.

There have to be lots of interesting objects you could attach a trigger to and use for a performance, whether seasonal or not :)

SuperJX said:
There have to be lots of interesting objects you could attach a trigger to and use for a performance, whether seasonal or not :)

The seasonal bit does add mojo though ;)

Imagine the roadie's look when he opens a big-ass flightcase just to find a bunch of pumpkins inside :D

Back