So I got to mix in a real studio for the first time.

DAS19

For this semesters audio class I get an hour each week with my group to do projects in my schools small studio. It was quite an expierence and just as fun as I would have imagined.

Our assignment was to mix a prerecorded track using two outboard compressors and one time based effect. First thing we did was roll out the tape on the board and label each track. This made it very easy to find each instrument and was somethng I wouldnt even have thought to do unless the studio assistant hadnt told me. After arming all the channels and hitting the L/R button on each we had sound coming out of the monitors. We started mixing and using the big board just made mixing so much more of hands on deal then when mixing in the box. We went at the mix like a sculptor. EQing with the boards onboard eq.

Just was a very cool expierence and cant wait to keep doing work in the schools studio. Next year we go to the big studio which houses a 72 channel ssl console. Professional recording is a whole different ballpark then home recording.

yeah, it's a lot of fun. There is something really enjoyable about working in a nice studio from time to time. Especially the hyper offensive twisted humour that comes out of a day in that environment. It warped my mind, and I will never recover.

Back