So I bought an Art Tube MP

Randy5235

It has no power button!!Whats up with that??above the power connector there is a hole in the chasis,I assume thats where they thought about putting the power switch but I guess they didn't? Thanks Randy5235

The hole in the chassy is to hook the wall wart cable, so it can't be ripped out easily.

Who needs a power button, when you can just disconnect the power cord? ;-D

The rationale I always hear for omitting a power switch is that it's just one more component that introduces noise, so why include it if it doesn't improve the sound.

On the other hand, if you spend the extra money for a Dual MP they offer a power switch as a feature. My guess is that omitting is one way to keep the cost below $100.

I'll accept that. It seems a little noisy when the +20 is on though,but it's still quieter than the older mic pre's I have on my tascam board

Yes, my ARTs are also MUCH better than the preamps in the 4-track I was using when I first bought them - I have since moved onto a PC.

I agree about the noise. Also, I don't know if this is normal for the Tube MP but mine is noticeably noisier than my Dual MP (which *has* the power switch on it - see my previous post above :confused: ), so I have to be even more careful with that unit. I tend to keep the input gain high and then adjust the output to get the right signal level.

I've seen James HE's idea posted here before - leave it on for a LONG time. Since my PC is in a corner of the dining room I don't have the luxury of leaving gear set up and plugged in for days at a time. The best I can do is set up the night before

[Edited by DaveO on 08-11-2000 at 15:24]

I just pull the power out of the back of mine. It's a pain but it works well enough.

I've found to get a good sound of the Tube MP you have to crank the input gain to at LEAST 70%. Unfortunately, this is also where it starts to get noisy....but the noise is nothing compared to the signal it's pumping out. Also, it truely does sound best after about an hour or two of warming up.

I don't like the way it's geared though. I can't really overdrive it with an SM57. I typically have the input gain to 80% and the output gain to 60% (+20db). On the other hand, I can overdrive it with my Sansamp Bass DI box, but then the output is geared too high...in that I'll have my input set to 75% (sounds great) and then I have to set the output gain to about 15% !!! I'm probably nuts, but it sure seems to me like this thing sounds best when I'm able to crank both the input and output. Oh well.

Slackmaster 2000

Back