So confused about cables

FBstdminime

Okay, please forgive me, but being of the younger generation of engineers, I have taken my first steps in recording with a digital mixer (until I realized that I hated it), so I have no clue as to how analog consoles work. I just bought a Soundtracs Topaz (very very excited), and I have not yet recieved it, so I don't know what the back panel looks like. I have a MOTU 1224, which has 8 trs ins. I would like to be able to record eight channels simultaneously, so how would I go about it with this setup? I would assume that I would use the mixer's inserts. If so, what type of cables should I buy to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

It probably has direct ouputs on the channel strips. Balanced cables from there to the MOTU. You might want to think about a patch bay. It would make routing a hell of a lot easier.

Mono cables right? Also, I know that patchbays are important in studios because EVERYONE has one. However, I have no clue how it is used, only that it provides "cleaner routing."

FBstdminime said:
Mono cables right? Also, I know that patchbays are important in studios because EVERYONE has one. However, I have no clue how it is used, only that it provides "cleaner routing."

Nope - it's not cleaner. (In general, adding anything to the signal chain is "less clean" than not adding it).

It just makes patching various inputs and outputs from various pieces of gear MUCH easier and more convenient.

Thanks... should I get mono cables? I was thinking about getting mogami gold series (I wish they made snakes... I know I can make my own but I'd probably mess it up somehow).

Back