So, anyone used MOTU 24i/o yet??

Roker1

...and how much does it go for at the moment?
How is the conversion on MOTUs?
If anyone's using the 24i/o, what sort of front end do you use with it? (mics, preamps...)
I'd like to know if the MOTU converters would do justice to higher level of front end gear.
I know some other converters would:) , but I'm not interested....actually my pocket isn't....:(
please comment if you know anything about the 24i/o

thanks

cheers

I use a Motu2408 with 308 and the conversion is really good, you can go upto 96 Khz and as far as I know 24i/o is an expansion system for Motu's audiowire Core systems. I haven't worked with it yet but the 424 PCi card convertion algorithm is really impressive.

Thanks Jeyan,
Good to hear that you're satisfied with the MOTU product...24 i/o is actually a core system ,not an expansion (but I guess it can be used as that), and it comes with PCI card, so it's really good to have the 24 ins/outs with the card and everything...
I'm seriously considering this unit, so if anyone else has had any experience with it, please share with us..
thanks

cheers

i have a 24i/o the old unit though. it is very servicable especially for keyboards.if you are connecting it to balanced equipment i think the snr goes up to 110db.what your getting with this unit mainly is decent quality,quantity inputs that's all.if you are looking for the complimentary converters for your new great river or avalon pre, look elsewhere. just my opinion,ymmv keith

thanks Keith,
I don't think we are talking the same unit here though...when you say old, how old?
The MOTU 24i/o came out just as few months ago I think...
Or is there a prior version to that that I'm not aware of?

cheers

yes there is a previous version,one difference is the new 424pci card,mine uses the 324 card. also, the new 24i/0 can record at 96k sample rate the old one cannot.i have been using motu products since 1998 and with the exception of some driver problems that have been worked out ,am very happy with their product.i picked up my 24i/0 to add to my 2408 and my lucid ad9624, more i/o to leave my boards all hooked up and ready to go. guitar center was blowing the core 24i system out for around $499 at the time. p.s. i got my 24i about 1yr ago .

Kieth, are you on a Mac or PC? What kind/number/severity of driver problems have you had?

i,m using a pc, a 1.2 gig t-bird i built a year or two ago.
my driver problems are a thing of the past.
sonar was new, wdm drivers ,for the motu were new then, in fact the first 6 motu sets i ran were all betas.
i,m running waves plugs and the pace protection had some issues back then with some of sonars Dxi instruments.
lot's of trial and error to get a good stable system running in the pc world.the t-bird is only my third system because once i get um runnin,if it ain,t broke ... you know

For what it's worth, I run a 2408 mkII (324 card) for years now with no problems (98 S.E.). I have the whole system clocked externally with a GenX6 and I'm pretty happy with converter performance.

hey track rat,i'm runnin 98se too.i've got win2000 in a dual boot but never could get the motu's drivers workin right with it on my current system. still i'm getting 2.9ms latency with 98se stable in sonar with input monitoring and moderate track counts using the second from the last released wdm drivers from motu.

I've been using Cakewalk Pro Audio9 and Vegas and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure where the top of my system is. 24 tracks is avereage on a project for me but I've had 35 up with SOME plugins running with no burps.

cool,i loved pro audio 9,and my setup same as yours was very stable with no headaches setting it up.
fwiw, i'm getting higher track counts with wdm and sonar then i did with pro audio 9 at lower latency values. the wdm drivers are just more robust then mme drivers are.
I routinely run between 24 and 48 ,24/44.1K tracks ,and sometimes up to 70 if i get lazy deleting alternate takes.

Keith are you talking about the 24i? I have the 24i which has 24 analog inputs and only stereo outputs for monitoring. The new 24i/o has 24 inputs and outputs

thanks guys..
good to hear that none really dislikes the conversion of the MOTU products, I guess they have to justify the higher price tags as well :)
I am running the 98 SE as well, and was thinking that I'd have to upgrade my OS when I get the 24 i/o, but it's excellent that you guys are happy running on SE....just checked some prices and the 24 I/O retails for like $3500 !!! here in australia (about 1900 USD).....a bit of a ripp off I'd say, but then again it's just the RRP, and ina couple of months it should go down I'd say.
Keilson is right about the difference between 24i and 24i/o....i guess the names say it all...

thanks for the input guys
much, much appreciated

mori,
fantastic man.....so, how is it? have you installed everything? how is it behaving with your puter?
what do you think of the sound?
details man, details :) ...please post some reviews once you've finished the comparison to your other cards...
I'll be checking back to see what you think
BTW, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

thanks ppl

Back