snippet of an original pop/hard rock tune

warrengtype

This is actually the first original I think I've ever posted anywhere for a critique, so songwriting comments are welcome if you have them. I'm curious what people think of the vocal, it's the first time I've ever put an effect on my voice, well an effect besides compression. I put some odd sounding reverb on it... I don't think I like it much, I'll probably lose it for the final mix. But I'd like to hear some other opinions.

It's the first and only song listed:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/indywarren_music.htm

Vocals seemed a little buried compared to the other stuff I heard by you. You should probably leave them drier, as your voice sounds prety good. Music overall is cool. Good start to a tune.
Ed

Thanks, sir. Yeah, tried something different but I don't think it's workin' either. Everytime I try to add reverb it just doesn't sound right. It's either that I'm not meant to have it, or I just haven't figured out how to use it right yet...

But seriously, this site should pay you. Since I've been checking this place out you're one of the few people who consistently offer up opinions and advice. Thanks for that.

warrengtype said:
Thanks, sir. Yeah, tried something different but I don't think it's workin' either. Everytime I try to add reverb it just doesn't sound right. It's either that I'm not meant to have it, or I just haven't figured out how to use it right yet...

But seriously, this site should pay you. Since I've been checking this place out you're one of the few people who consistently offer up opinions and advice. Thanks for that.

Well, thank you. I like music, and try to listen to most things posted in the clinic. Alot I have no advice, or real opinion on, but enjoy.

As far as reverb, how are you adding it? Software, or hardware? I've heard most people talk about very little amounts, almost not heard. You might do a search on the recording thread, or maybe the mixing one, and see if something strikes you as reasonable.
Ed

Back