Sniffing+coughing while recording...

hokypokynose

Over the weekend I had a severe, what I call mini-cold. Maybe it's the flu but with no puking. I don't know.

Anyways, I was doing some accoustic work and I kept coughing and sneezing and sniffling. Normally I would say it wasn't a problem, it just adds some realness to the track, but I record accoustic with my 2 omni ECM8000s which of course pick up everything, but I've now added my new Audio Technica AT3035 in beteen the two behringers. And since I'm recording accoustic from about a foot back, I had the pad turned off. With all of these mics being so sensitive, when I'd cough, I sounded like an airbag, when I sniffed, like a short rainstorm, and the one time when I sneezed, it sounded like someone stepped on Godzilla's tail.

Is their any trick to get rid of these on the recording? I doubt it, but since I'm playing all bar chords on this particular song it really hurts my hand to do it over and over again, and I'm also really bored and felt like posting something, I figured I'd ask this.

Outside Of The Box

That's funnnnnny. O.K. serious now "I'm still laughin"giggle here sniffel there sneeze and cough once more". Sorry 'bout that. Just play it again. Who cares if your fingers hurt, Play till they bleed if you like the song!

You could build the world's first "head isolation box".

I could see a lot of uses for something like that. Especially if the significant other won't shut up and let you record.

hokypokynose said:
when I sneezed, it sounded like someone stepped on Godzilla's tail.

[/url]

Just make it a cover of V.T.T.L.O.T.F.D.G.F

wonder if anyone will get this

"Normally I would say it wasn't a problem, it just adds some realness to the track"

All I can say is WOW, you must have some very real sounding tracks! How many of us have set aside a perfect day to do those vocals, only to be delayed by a head cold. And the few days prior you test out that voice all the time. And by the day before, when all the snot seems clear, you still have a conjested sound but you want to cut the track so bad. The mirror and recorder never lies though, so it's usually a wash. I've found there is no comprimise to tracking in that situation, especially vocal. Sometimes with a cold though, I get this awesome lower range and get a hankerin to cut some Barry White covers!

Shockwave said:
"Normally I would say it wasn't a problem, it just adds some realness to the track"

All I can say is WOW, you must have some very real sounding tracks! How many of us have set aside a perfect day to do those vocals, only to be delayed by a head cold. And the few days prior you test out that voice all the time. And by the day before, when all the snot seems clear, you still have a conjested sound but you want to cut the track so bad. The mirror and recorder never lies though, so it's usually a wash. I've found there is no comprimise to tracking in that situation, especially vocal. Sometimes with a cold though, I get this awesome lower range and get a hankerin to cut some Barry White covers!

Yah, I wish it was like that. Then I'd sit in front of the refrigerator soaking in my underware. But I have a crappy voice without a cold, so with a cold it sounds even more terrible. That's why I just wanted to do the accoustic for the track(I plan to only have accoustic and vocals on this one). I did just after posting this get one down where I was able to make it through the playing. Snot was dripping off my nose though :D ;).

I'm healthy now BTW except for this cough that makes it sound like I've been smoking a carton a day for 60 years(and I've never smoked once). But I'm hoping this will go away.

Out Side Of The Box

chessrock said:
Just get an ovation and plug it in to a good d.i. box and there you go.

It's hard to believe(heh) that my Ibenez accoustic(just the name should make you shiver) has a pre-amp that sounds amazing, and I don't even need a d.i., I just go through a planet waves cable into the line in and mix it with the 3 mics. The guitar is actaully quite a nice one. If for some reason you're curious as to what my guitar sounds like I'll be posting in the clinic as soon as I can get a vocal take that doesn't make me sound 7 years old. God I hate my voice. I have a pretty deep voice when speeking, but I sing pretty high up and it thins out and makes me sound kinda like a choir boy with alittle bit more edge.

Outside Of The Box

Back