Snare Tracking

chessrock, some very good points there!

TexRoadkill, good question... How about it chess so that I can first start playing with the "snare bottom LDC floor mic" in the studio w/ hardwood floor or in the living room w/ carpet floor?

I'm thinking a C3 might be perfect for the app!

Bulls Hit, nope. I make sure the basics result in something pretty damn nice before getting into other things; such as that.

nwsoundman, this all happens with both my own kit or client kits.

I myself have a 5-piece Premier Jazz kit with old A Zildjians and an old 14" New Beat hat that I use to ghate but now absolutely love. I also have 14" Quick Beats that never get used. By the way, the Quick Beats are for sale if anyone wants to buy them... I want to give some A Custom or A Custom Mastersound hats a try.

One day soon, when I get back to playing drums a lot more again, I may spring for a few A Custom cymbals for some alternative cymbal choices.

I looked at your kit RE..... Where is the Drum riser? Carpet on hard floors without a riser could be part of the difficulties. I witnessed a bloke get Fletcher 'd about the evils of recrding drums without a riser. I'll look for the thread at PSW to see if I can find it... It was a good read.

Peace,
SoMm

What about using a mini-gobo between the snare mic and hat? I've not seen this mentioned yet.

A small, line-of-sight gobo might be just the trick for hat bleed.

Some things I do to change up snare sounds....Of course you can change the mic used in any of these techniques for even more variety:

Use a different snare drum. Kinda' obvious, and frequently not possible. You'd be surprised at how often people don't think of this 'tho...

Record in a different room. I've had the same drum sound entirely different in different locations.

Put up a room mic a good distance away from the kit. Bring it up in the mix just enough to get some of the snare's "reverb".

Record the underside of the drum. Reverse the phase and mix it in.

Record the underside of the drum and do this trick: Gate the underside mic and reverse the phase. Leave the top mic un-gated. Apply reverb to the underside and leave the top mic dry. Works very well if you ask me. I usually use a large amount of the dry top mic, a decent amount of the underside reverb, and only a small amount of the underside dry signal.

Record the shell of the drum (point a mic at the side) in addition to the top.

for me the best way to get rid of the hat bleed is to line up the back of the mic with the hats.
think of a piece of string going directly from your hats to the snare,
i would put the mic on that line aimed at the snare and away from the hats,
with the mic as close as you can to the snare.
i like the sound of a sm57 with the element about even with the rim of the snare and the mic aimed a little shy of the rim on the other side.
does that make sense? i wish i had a virtual cocktail napkin to draw it out.

Back