snare springs

rib

the big question i can never find an answer for........when recording, how do you keep from hearing the springs on the snare drum rattle when other instruments or drums are being played?

Easy. When I track drums, there are no other intruments in the booth with them to drive the springs. No problemo.

Here's some ideas...

Turn the snares off

Put a tissue between the snares and the head

lay the snare drum on the floor if it's carpet

Track Rat said:
Easy. When I track drums, there are no other intruments in the booth with them to drive the springs. No problemo.

ven the kick drum makes the snare drum hiss....the tissue idea sounds good, i just hope it would affect the sound of the snare.

thanks for the ideas

Can't speak for other instruments but if any of your drums are tuned close to the same pitch as your snare drum it will rattle like crazy. another poster in this forum explained this to me, when I retuned my rack toms I got minimal rattle from the snares.

IMO, it's something you can't avoid and you need to get used to.
It probably seems *very* noticable right now, but just get used to it, and it will most likely get less apparant to you.
I've heard that tightening the lugs directly on both sides of the snare bed may help reduce rattle.
YMMV. Doesn't seem to work on all the snares I've tried it on.

- Justin -

As already indicated, "sympathetic buzz" is normal and in most cases it is not noticed in the final mix.

Detuning the snare drum or detuning the mounted toms (to get some seperation of tone) is the normal way to reduce buzz. Other options can be to place something between the head and the snare (not my preferred choice) or hang a think piece of fabric (like a bath towel) between the mounted tom and the snare.

Tuning should be your first choice. However, trust your ears, if you don't hear the snare buzz in your recorded mix, than don't worry too much about it - it's part of the instrument.

Back