snare ring

axeman_ukl

i have a pearl forum kit and when i hit the snare it causes the tom to ring so when i record the kit it changes the sound of the snare. is there any way of stopping this ?:confused:

It is just a guess, but try to tune the snare a bit higher or lower. Maybe the snare and the tom share the same frequency so the one drum resonates while hitting the other.
I don't excactly know what you mean by "tom", if you mean one of the low mid high toms this might help but if you mean the tom of the snare itself ( the sound you'll get if you losen the snares of you snare-drum), I don't really know how to solve that.

Hope I helped you man!

John

Try tuning them a little different so one doesn't set off the other. If you have the tom printed to a track of its own, then gate it or simply edit it to where it only plays when the toms are played

yeah its when you hit the snare the high or mid tom vibrates and the snare mic picks it up ,tried to gate it out but it happens whilst the snare is hit changing the sound of the snare ,could a cheap snare stand be the culpret or are all snare stands the same ?

It's not the snare stand, it's sympathetic vibration. Change the tuning on the toms and the snare to widen the gap in the note each drum is vibrating at when hit.

Also, it goes without saying, make sure that NO part of the snare or stand is resting against the kick drum, as that can often make it worse.

You may also want to try tightening up the snares themselves, but it's going to most likely be sympathetic vibration. Get the gaps in notes bigger, and that will lessen the effect. You'll most likely still have some, and like jaybriggs said, if you have the drums individually mic'd some gating will help out a lot as well.

i have a pearl forum kit and when i hit the snare it causes the tom to ring so when i record the kit it changes the sound of the snare. is there any way of stopping this ?:confused:

There is, but you probably don't want to. Think of capturing the whole sound of the kit - sympathetic ringing and all. It's all one instrument. It may sound weird to your ears but it will be cool in the mix.

If you do want to, buy a roll of duct tape, moon gels, damper rings and go to town. It will probably also help to remove the bottom heads from your toms.

/shrugs/

i would think of tuning the snare higher than the hi tom. what i did was tune the batter head to the tone i wanted and tuned the bottom head higher. I think this will help with the rings. another suggestion would be to use moon gels. oh, on another thread, one of them guys told me to do a lot of eq'ing to the sound, sometimes this would help and give a different sound. I hope this will help answer or solve your problem.

ok everything re tuned all sounding excellent except the snare wires vibrate when i hit the low tom ,its quiet but its there , tried tightening the wires up all the way but its still there
how many wires should the snare have this one has 20 could i try removing a few ?
could room refelctions cause this ? (drums in a small room)
if so would some bass taps in front of the kit help ?

or should i say bugger it its as good as its going to get its a budget kit and remove the sounds from the snare mic recording and stop trying to get this right

Back