snare micing techniques

hardcore guy

A good snare sound is important to me. I know a lot of it depends on the snare and the tuning but I wanted to know what techniques one could use to get a loud open snap and ring sound and possibly what mics to use. Here is where you can find an mp3 from the band Hella.

I LOVE the way the snare sounds in this recording. Any ideas on how this sound was achieved? I have a steel Ludwig snare with die cast rims, I think it is possible for me to get similar sounds out of my snare but recording is a different deal.
And I have done a fair amount of seaching a reading before posting this. I just though posting an mp3 of the sound I'm going for would be a good idea.

I'm typing this as it downloads, so my answer might change once I hear the sample you provided, it's a slow download and I'm too impatient to wait before I respond. I will tell you how I get what I think is a decent snare sound that also eliminates high-hat leakage, etc...
I point the snare mic (in my case a 57) straight down. Like I mean the back of the mic is pointing straight up at the ceiling. I point the mic at the skin about 1.5 to 2 inches in from the skin and about 2 inches up away from the skin. I find I get a pretty good crack and just enough ring.
I don't want to make this about my music, but if you want to hear a sample, it's here: http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=1778989&q=Hi

ehh...

hes reply depends on ur snare....try it tho.. i allways have a bright snappy snare taht rings forever thas trhe way i like mine. but recording one i do like this 57 on top 57 or 58(58 for darker sound --for me that is) on bottom . if u point the mic straight up on a snare like ur talking about ur gonna get huge shell ring sound that cant be fixed by a gate. but place 1 on top 1 on bottom about three fingers length away from the heads. the bottom mic adds realy nice sizzle ull have more snare control with 2 mics.

Well, I don't point it straight up, I point it straight down...but anyway...
And I don't "get huge shell ring sound that cant be fixed by a gate". But every drum, mic and drummer is different. Personally, I'd never put a mic under my snare, but to each their own...whatever works.

You can also experiment with compressor settings to get more ring. I try changing the attack faster and lowering the threshold until I bring out just the right amount of snap, and ring (2:1 or 3:1 ratio).

Don't over do it or it sounds like the drummer used "Hot Rods"

Zack is a really cool guy and I remember him from his earlier bands in Sac. He's really approachable and so I think the best way for you to find out is to ask him. Send him an email through hella's webpage.

The first time I saw him play at Old Ironsides all I could think of was Stu Copeland. Zack hits the drums very very hard and consistently and I'd have to say a big part of the snare sound you're talking about is Zack himself.

-Casey

Back