Snare Compression Problem

ndycus1

On the song that i am currently mixing, the drummer does a lot of fast snare fills. but, during the majority of the song, he's playing a constant/steady snare beat. I have the compressor's attack time set so that the transient comes through and the release time so that the gain reduction will be back to zero by the time the next snare hits. But, when he does the fast snare rolls, the gain reduction doesn't have time to go back down, so the transient is compessed as well. What should i do? I've thought about automating the compressor just for those parts and setting the release time to where it returns in time for the next snare hit. I've considered just using volume automation and trying to create my own dynamics for these rolls. And i've also considered copying snare fills to another track and using different compressor settings for this track. Which of these do you think would be the best solution? Or, do you have any methods that i haven't thought of?

ndycus1 said:
I've thought about automating the compressor just for those parts and setting the release time to where it returns in time for the next snare hit. I've considered just using volume automation and trying to create my own dynamics for these rolls. And i've also considered copying snare fills to another track and using different compressor settings for this track. Which of these do you think would be the best solution?
Without hearing the actual tracks, I can only talk in general terms, but FWIW, would look mainly at the first two options. The third option is not really that different from the first, but it's more work.

As to whether to automate the compression or the volume, I'd ask myself what is it I'm actually trying to do with the compressor? Am I using it to get a special sound or am I using it to try and control the overall volume (or both?). If you are using it mainly to get a special sound, then I'd think that automating the compression would probably be the way to go. If you're using it mainly to control the volume, then I'd automate the levels.

I have personally always been a big fan of automating leves to get the large-scale dynamics in line instead of using compression for that task. It gives me much more creative flexibility in being able to fit tracks together when I can fit their respective level automations together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

But notice I said "large scale dynamics" there. Thinks like treating fills or mini-riffs as groups to be handled seperately. Higher-resolution dynamics - like handling a drummer who could not make two consecutive snare hits together at the same intensity - would just be too much work for my tastes to level-automate. Having to automate every quarter-time hit on a twelve bar arrangement (not counting fills and such) is just not worth it. For that, transparent transient compression is the answer for me.

The same goes for if you're using the compressor to get a special sound beyond just level control. While technically one could bend the rubber band on a level control to simulate what a compressor does on the millisecond scale to get the same effect, that would indeed be not only a major pain in the ass, but would be re-inventing the Goodyear tire by chiseling a wheel out of stone :).

G.

I think you might be on to something with automating the release time. I have recently started doing this with my outboard gear, even while tracking. or maybe you can bypass during the fills. I would look to do the switch when the song moves to a new section.

Back