Snapshot of mixer settings

tbkahuna

I have Sonar 2.2 XL. I am learning to mix tracks together and ran into a problem. I make a progression of changes to a song, and eventually think I need to go back to where I started.

Is there a way to take a snapshot of the fader levels for each of the channels for saving so you can go back to where you were?

I want to be able to do several of these for comparison.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how you could save your place and come back to it?

Thanks!

Or save wisely...

I mean, don't save the song when you're working on it....only click save when you're really really sure. If you screw it up, exit without saving and open the song again. Make breakpoints, so to speak. At least, that's my procedure...

Maybe this should go on as another suggestion for SONAR 3... ability to save mixer settings and have an option where you can call the settings in at any time of the mix.

Porter

the hard way

well, I'm not at the mixing point yet, but if there is no "feature" that lets you go back to older settings in the same project, maybe you could try actual screenshots. If you just want to have a shot of the faders, have them visible on the screen and hit the PrtScn key on your keyboard. That will put a "picture" of your screen as you see it on the clipboard. Then just open up any graphics program like Photoshop, or even the Windows image editor... and paste the contents of the clipboard into a new image. Then save that image for future reference.

I don't know if that will help, but there ya go anyway.

Quoted from SONAR help file...

Snapshots

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A snapshot is a group of settings that SONAR's controls snap to when your project reaches a certain Now Time. You set all the controls to the values you want, and then create a snapshot of these settings at a particular Now Time. This approach is useful, for example, when your project contains a variety of distinct sections and you want to make a sudden change in one or more settings between the sections.

To Create a Snapshot
Move the Now Time to the location where you want to create the snapshot.

Make sure that the Automation toolbar is visible--use the View-Toolbars command and make sure that the Automation checkbox is checked.

Set all controls the way you want them to be at this particular location in the project.

Arm the controls whose positions you want to record by right-clicking each one and making sure the Arm for Automation command has a checkmark next to it in the automation popup menu.

Click the Snapshot button in the Automation toolbar.
SONAR records the positions of all armed controls.

Play your project and listen to the results. You can undo the snapshot by using the Undo command, or by taking another snapshot at the same Now Time.

Disarm all controls by clicking the Disarm All Automation Controls button in the Automation toolbar, or by clicking the red Aut indicator in the Status bar.
You can play back your project with or without the automation data by clicking the Enable Automation Playback button in the Automation toolbar
-----------------------------------------------------------

In SONAR, Help --> Help topic. Seacrh for Snapshots...
;)
Jaymz

Pedullist said:
Or save wisely...

I mean, don't save the song when you're working on it....only click save when you're really really sure. If you screw it up, exit without saving and open the song again. Make breakpoints, so to speak. At least, that's my procedure...
Nah. Just the opposite here... :D
Save (the back-track path), then
Save-As (the new 'safe to mess-with version).
Then SAVE SAVE SAVE. Often and Hard!
Hey, my Timeworks Comp often causes that "Wer're sorry, Sonor has an Issue. You know everything you did for the last half hour, we can't remember shit, and this program will me closed.:p
Woul'd you like us to tell Bill Gates about it for you?"
:D :D :D
Wayne

mixsit said:
Woul'd you like us to tell Bill Gates about it for you?"

Posted him thousand times...

Replied : "...Oh no... not him again..." :(

Agree with Clemie & mixsit here...
Save every ten minutes or ~30 changes...

;)
Jaymz

tbkahuna said:
I have Sonar 2.2 XL. I am learning to mix tracks together and ran into a problem. I make a progression of changes to a song, and eventually think I need to go back to where I started.
..<snip>..
Thanks!
If you use volume envelopes, when you pull them up or down they're recorded as events that can be un-done in 'edit-history' (unlike normal volume moves).
Then there's 'offset mode' and 'trim' that are sort of good visual-temporary modes I've found usefull for trying out changes.
Wayne

Back