Snap, Crackle, POP! SONAR

13th_Omen

I just got my new PC set up. I do not have the sound card that I intend on using for recording yet, but I figured I would put up with the onboard C-Media CMI8738 for the time being. I really just want to mix some stuff right now until I get my new soundcard. Anything that I play in SONAR 3 PE has a popping sound. I have done all of the usual: Wave Profiler, changed the buffer sizes, latency slider, but to no avail. Everything works fine in other audio programs (ie soundforge). I have searched everywhere for any similar problems, didn't find much. I am pretty sure that it is my soundcard considering the C-Media is not listed on the Cakewalk compatiblity list.

My question is... any way around this?

I have:

P4 2.6, 1,024 MB RAM, 200 GB (7200 RPM) hard drive, Win 2000

Also,
I intend to get the Terratec Phase 88 cards. Anyone get one yet?

What's your hard drive? ATA-100 or SATA?

If it's SATA, then it may be a PCI bus timing issue which you need to get sorted out. Take a look at this thread over at the Cakewalk forums -- if it sounds appropriate and nothing else works for you.

http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=45491&mpage=1&key=sata

The onboard sound will be shitty, but it shouldn't be totally Rice Bubbles audio......

Good luck.

:) Q.

Qwerty said:
Me too - but if the latency is high enough and Soundforge and others play properly......
SoundForge and "others" aren't that picky about the drivers as Sonar... ;)

Soundforge plays only 2 channels wave (stereo), that's why (I guess) it doesn't drive that hard. Sonar does multichannels, and when the load is getting heavy, it *could* be a problem. How many tracks do you have on your sonar's project until it start crackling?

13th_Omen,

So if you just just Wave Profiler, run nothing and try recording?

Don't have a second card in the machine at the same time?

Porter

I haven't gotten to recording yet... waiting to get a real soundcard. Right now I just want to import tracks and mix them.

Only the onboard C-Media soundcard exists!

You should still re-run the wave profiler that Porter talks about to re-profile the onboard audio's drivers.

Q.

And when you run it, don't change any settings after.. Wave Profiler set's the settings in Sonar to a level where they should operate without any problems... in your first post you said that you changed settings.. try it without first!!

I know it's tempting to play around.. just have to be careful.

Porter

Try dissconecting CD drive out of your HD's IDE strip. Particular CD drive can interfere signal from/to HD, specialy when your HD is in DMA mode, and CD drive is in PIO mode. Anyway, how many HD / CD drive do you have on your system? How do you connect them?

;)
Jaymz

I have tried the Wave Profiler without changing settings... still the problem. I have one 200 GB drive and one CD-Rom, both on seperated IDE cables.

I really think it is the soundcard!

I always have this problem... The only way i found to fix it is by opening the console view and bring down the volume of my output soundcard (I have an Echo Mia) by 6db. Then it sounds fine. What I hate about it is that even if I save a project, I open it again and the output of the mia is back at 0db :(

Thierry

digital problem

In my course at uni that i am doing i learnt that some of this sounds are something to do with the digital side of things ie to do with the way sample rates are setup and so forth we didnt really get much more into it.

Back