Snap, Crackle, and Pop just made their way to my house

Chrisjob

I haven't recorded anything in a long time, and upon trying to record a couple guide tracks, I found all sorts of crackles and pops in my audio files. At first I thought it was a buffer issue, but I tried every combination of buffers in my soundcard and my apps, and I get the same results. I also reinstalled the drivers three or four times, and changed the PCI slot of my card, thusly switching the IRQ

Wierdly enough, I seem to have the exact same trouble as this thread, but I can't seem to contact Dig and find out how he solved his problem.

The clicks appear in the same spot everytime (so it seems) which leads me to believe it might be clipping, but all VU monitors I have don't go over -7 dB. When I lower the playback volume in the Windows sound mixer to about 10%, I don't hear any crackle, but the overall volume might be too low that I can't hear them.

I've tried a variety of input sources and cable configurations, so Im sure its somewhere in the computer.

Vital Info:
PIII 600 mhz
512 RAM
Windows XP
Delta 44
Cool Edit Pro 2.1 [though the same thing appears to be happening in FruityLoops 4.0]

Thanks!

-Chris

There was a thread in the Cubase forum a month or two ago where nearly every way to fix this problem was run through.

The best way to fix it is to get the newest drivers, but if you search you may find it. I htink it was called "do I need more Ram".

Goodluck!

Neil

Back