Snake??

LDQ

Hi all,

Can I use a Hosa TRS to TRS snake to make mic snakes for my vocal booth and studio? I was thinking of cutting up the ends and putting female XLR connectors and build wall plates on one side. Would this type of cable be ok for mic snakes or do I need a special kind. I am no to sure how to deal with Low Z or High Z.

Also...what type of connector do I need for the control room side?

Thanks,

Luis.

Last edited:
sure, you can do that. You mention it's TRS which means it's 3 conductor cable, capable of carrying balanced signals (as well as unbalanced one, just a matter of different connectors)

As far as connectors on studio side: depends on your situation. Are they going to mic pre's ? To a patch panel ? to an XLR patch panel ?
Figure that out and you'll know the answer.

Good luck with that.

Herwig

Thanks DeadPoet,

DeadPoet said:

As far as connectors on studio side: depends on your situation. Are they going to mic pre's ? To a patch panel ? to an XLR patch panel ?
Herwig

I see what you mean...I planning on putting all these to a 1/4" TRS patch panel.

Cheers,

Luis.

you can surely use Hosa snake.......... just be aware that the quality is amongst the lowest available (you get what you pay for, its cheap)

If you intend to do some soldering yourself, why not make a good one?
Find the cable you want at http://www.gepco.com and ask them for a quote direct - also ask them to quote you for the connectors while you're at it - and for the wall plates.
Ask them to quote you for assembled - and materials only.

I think you'd be surprized how cost effective a high quality assembly can be if you know where to go for it.

When you contact Gepco, ask for Kevin. Mention my name if you like, and he'll look after you very well.

Thanks Sjoko

I'll give him a call.

Now another question....I am plannig in putting 5 XLR connectors for the Vocal Booth and 10 XLR connectors for the studio but I am not shure how many TRS drops should I put or if I also need unbalanced 1/4" connectors. For headphone mixes I know I need some TRS drops in both rooms but what do you or anyone else think should be the minimun number of 1/4" TRS an 1/4" unbalanced lines that I should bring to these rooms so I don't have to pull my hair later:-)

Cheers,

LUis.

Re: Thanks Sjoko

LDQ said:
I'll give him a call.

Now another question....I am plannig in putting 5 XLR connectors for the Vocal Booth and 10 XLR connectors for the studio but I am not shure how many TRS drops should I put or if I also need unbalanced 1/4" connectors. For headphone mixes I know I need some TRS drops in both rooms but what do you or anyone else think should be the minimun number of 1/4" TRS an 1/4" unbalanced lines that I should bring to these rooms so I don't have to pull my hair later:-)

Cheers,

LUis.

It all depends how you'd like your studio to be configured.
The vast majority of "normal" studios have wallplates with female XLR's for audio, the same (recent aditions, all metal) for AES III, female XLR for Q-lines, and, also arrived in recent years, CAT5, for transporting 8 channel audio to monitor submixers.
Nobody really bothers with TRS, or with anything unbalanced.
However, to save yourself a lot of work and money, if you think you really need TRS, why don't you look into Neutrik combo XLR / TRS plugs for, lets say, 2 channels in both rooms?

Re: Re: Thanks Sjoko

sjoko2 said:
if you think you really need TRS, why don't you look into Neutrik combo XLR / TRS plugs for, lets say, 2 channels in both rooms?

You know that is a great idea and to tell you the truth I didn't even know they had those kind of connectors. I think I am going to do 2 pairs in each room.........now John always talks about having a drop in the vocal booth or studio for a guitar amp....can I plug in an unbalanced line to on of these XLR-TRS connectors?..or do I need an unbalanced 1/4" connector??

Regards,

Luis.

You just make some cables for that purpose (mine are XLR to TRS, as I don't have anything not XLR on the plates, apart from cat5)

Back