Snake/Headphone Amp

guitarmagic

Hi, I'm new to these forms. I've had recording gear for about 3 years now and i've been slowly getting better at using the gear. Basically my set up is just a mackie 24 8 bus and a motu 24i. I have 18 channels from the motu going to the direct outs of my mackie.

I've always had everything in the same room but tonight i decided to move the computer, mixer and rack into another room and have the drums amps and what not in another room.

I'm planning on buying a 24 channel snake. It's a carvin SK24 it has 245 xlr ins and 8 xlr returns. I can't post a link because it is my first post. I've had good experience with carvin gear for my guitar so i figured this would probably be good to.

My question is that I'm going to have the mics from drums and bass and wtv going to the snake to the channels on the mixer, but i'm a little skeptical about hooking up my headphone amp. i see that the snake has 8 returnes but there XLR. Do they make an adapter that i can just plug in my headphones to the XLR's on the snake? When i have to go direct from keyboard and bass i'm going to use the TRS to XLR cables but i need some sort of adaptor to hook up the 2/4 inch cables from the headphones to the snake because the headphones won't reach into the control room.

That might have been a mess and the answer might be right in front of my face but if anyone could answer me i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You, Gabriel.

Yep, you can make an adapter. Or, look for a snake with TRS sends on it. That way you can send a keyboard DI signal into the control room, or a headphone signal to the tracking room w/o adapters.

Thanks for the reply! How would i go about making an adaptor or can i find a company who makes them?

I like this snake because it has 8 returns and the snakes i've seen with trs returns only have 4.

Thanks for the reply! How would i go about making an adaptor or can i find a company who makes them?

I like this snake because it has 8 returns and the snakes i've seen with trs returns only have 4.

redco.com

fantastic cables - pretty decent price.

Another thought would be to leave the headphone amp in the tracking room with the performers, and simply route and aux or monitor send down the snake to the amp.Just let them adjust their volume.
You should till be able to monitor what you send them from the Mackie... Can't you?

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to call my local music store and see how much they charge for a snake with trs returns. I found a couple on the internet and if the store cant get me one i'll just order one off of the net. Worse comes to worse i'll just move the headphone amp like tmix said.

I just ordered a jade audio snake off of musicians friend. Its 299 it was the cheapest i can find. Hopefully it'll work well.

Back