SMPTE and Lynx two soundcard

drumsagogo

I have a microlynx synchronizer with the ACG (audio clock generator) and a 16tk Otari MTR90II and am trying to figure out just exactly how to sync to a DAW.

In the microlynx manual, there is a nice diagram of how to sync an analog machine with a daw: there are MIDI & time code cables running from the microlynx to the daw, as well as word clock from the ACG card (in the microlynx) to the daw.

Now, the analog end of things is easy enough to understand...there is time code on track 16 that the microlynx will read, however, would I need to make all three of these connections (MIDI, word clock, timecode) to my soundcard?

I am planning on buying a 4/4 I/O lynx two.

The short term question is:

Will this setup work with the lynx two? (judging from the info on the lynxstudio website, I think it will, but I am still unsure of the required connections)

The long term question is:

Which machine should be master....at first I thought I'd want the daw to chase the 16 track, but then I read some stuff about slight variations in speed of an analog machine causing daw tracks to be slightly out of tune, although this may have been with midi sync. Speaking of which, why would the daw need both a MIDI and SMPTE connection?

Basically you can tell I'm pretty confused about this. Maybe I should post this question on another forum?

:confused:

Back