Small Stuff

paulisher

Can anyone guess who is playing drums on this?? I started this tune with some sampled drum loops and an electric guitar but before long I knew it could use live drums. So here it is with the help of a very talented musician who was kind enough to play on this tune. Let me know what you think of the mix, tone, levels and anything I might improve short of using a better singer or writing a better song. :eek:

https://soundcloud.com/auleard/small-stuff

Small Stuff

Lost my ring I've lost my shirt
Lost dignity in the dirt
Lost my patience, my temper too
and control as my emotion grew
Lost my car in a parking lot
But nothing compares
To loosing you and you and you and you yeah you

Lost Peace of mind Ive lost my way
and precious time every day
Lost my nerve and I've lost touch
With friends I use to know and love so much
Lost my car in a parking lot
and nothing compares
To loosing you and you and you and you yeah you

Wail on wailing hind this wall I'll lament about it all

Lost my specticles, I've lost my keys
and some money to wolves and thieves
I've lost a lot, I know I'm not alone
None is greater than the pain that is your own
Lost my car once more in a parking lot

but nothing compares
to loosing you...

Oh when will I learn, don't sweat the small stuff

Pretty damn cool. I'd like more low end on the kit, though - the rolls sound like timbales almost sometimes - and the kick's sort of disappearing too. More low end is not advice I give on mixes here very often, so I just might be right. More balls, please.

Very cool tune.

Likewise . . . more low end is what I would like to hear also, on kit and bass.

The track leaves me waiting for everything to suddenly kick in with the bottom end, but it's like its kind of on idle.

Thanks Dobro and gecko I'll work on the drums and bass, I didn't use much eq on either. Yes Rami did play drums on this.

Here is a new mix with mo bass! Kinda got me fired up. I'm sure this topic has come accross this forum before but if a red light occurs in a daw meter but overage measures 0db is it causing distortion? Obvious answer is if use your ears but your ears could well be better than mine. This happened several times with this mix.

https://soundcloud.com/auleard/small-stuff-1

Drums sound great and snappy, and I like the guitar sounds.

I can hear the bass, but it still doesn't sound very bassy, so the song sounds as if it is guitars, drums and no bass. I want to feel the bass more.

Thanks Geco. I decided to record the bass DI on this because of work flow so it might be as good as it's going to get unless I re-record the bass track. Appreciate your comment though.

Thanks Geco. I decided to record the bass DI on this because of work flow so it might be as good as it's going to get unless I re-record the bass track. Appreciate your comment though.

DI should be fine, I do that all that time.

But I'm wondering more about how you monitor. Are you using a sub? Or is it just that the bass doesn't have a very bassy sound?

No Sub but my room is treated, not as good as it could be though. The bass I used is a fender Jazz Bass into a UA 610 and a Distressor.

Like what Gekko said. How are you monitoring? The second mix has marginally more low end. But what about the toms? Where are they? Where's that reassuring low end kick? And the only reason the bass is working at all in this mix is cuz the low end of the drums ain't there. You got the clicky clack. But you don't have the whump. Not yet. Get the whump. This is a really nice, really lovely song. That instrumental segment with the backing vocals is fucking divine. C'mon. Get it mixed.

I like your conviction Gekko and thank you for your input. The drum tracks were sent to me so there might be something lost in the transition or a screw up on my end, likely the latter. The Tom stem that I have has a very low level so the Toms I am hearing are mostly from overheads and don't occur that often anyways. Not sure what to do about that. My monitor is suspect though. With this project when I mix (with a summing mixer) my monitors are much quieter than after I export the mix. I'll hunt down the signal chain.

Ah, you're struggling, then. Got it. Good luck with that. I do it all the time, though. :)

Back