Small room recording possibilities?

We're mainly looking at #1 right now. I understand #2 and will eventually get to that point and we will. We've already started discussing this.

As for volume....its totally a catch 22. Given the space we have and the type of music we play....it's a vicious cycle of self-discipline that's not there. Acoustic drums in that small area = need for volume. Problem is that the bassist likes to "feel" his bass, so he cuts up. Now we can't hear guitars, we cut up, etc. Rinse & repeat.

We're trying it tonight for the first time with the suggestions posted here. I'll be in full-on nazi mode for volume tonight. I've already told them that if I see 1 red light (clipping) on my Saphhire or in Sonar....someone's getting slapped or facing a beer penalty.

I know it will be 100% trial & error being new to this....but man, what a lovely ride :D

Doesn't help that the place decided to carpet EVERYTHING (we rent room in a warehouse) including the walls. That's their ghetto sound-proofing. I have some acoustic paneling (dunno brand) in the hard-corners to try to minimize those reflections.

OK...here's the 1st test. Please keep in mind before you flame the mix/quality.....i'm new to this. Totally open to suggestions, but the general (you suck, band sucks, etc) inflammatory type of stuff won't even be processed. Not saying you guys here are like that, just used to it in other forums, etc.

Anyhoo...here's what I have. (NOTE: 2nd one drops the "F-bomb" quite a bit...these are both covers)

Definitely open to suggestions. I'm going to break down and replace 1 lg diaphragm on snare/hat w/ a pencil one and mic the kick most likely. We'll see what happens tonight.

NOTE: There's an annoying click/static in the tracks and i have NO idea how to get rid of it. I'm hoping it's something related to sample rate that I can fix before recording tonight.

I think the 2 mixes came out "not bad" considering this is first time.
However, I need to hear these through something better than speakers in laptop.
I have to say that there is a lot of bottom end happening which is probably due to the type of general guitar work going on ie low string playing ie low e, low a. :guitar:
Need to hear more mid range (More cowbell?) :D
If you have more available channels, put a 57 near snare/hi-hat, 990 at kick, and a 57 between toms and a 57 on low tom.
They sound a little mushy and need some more definition.
More Separate channels may give you a chance to work with eq and blending when mixing to stereo.
Are you using any master compression when mixing to stereo?
The clicking most likely has something to do with recording software and your computer. Bummer. :facepalm:
Can't think of the term but perhaps it will come back to me. :mad:
Buffering? :confused:
BG

Gotcha and will try that the next time we set up. Only have 2 SM57s right now. That's soon to be alleviated when I get my tax return (those aren't even mine).

As for the clicking....I figured that out. It was from running at a sample rate of 44.1. After I changed the project/software/etc for the next time, I set it to 48 and clicking was gone.

This is our 2d time recording, even tho new to the song. Set up was a little different:

SM57 on other guitar
SM57 on kick
Direct In on my guitar (added amp sim later so it wasn't so "robotic")
Can't remember mic type on bass (he's since brought his amp with direct in)
MXL 991 overhead
MXL 991 between snare and hat (hindsight, i should of gone w/ the 990 like originally suggested....it was also too close to hat and not enough snare :( )

Back